Accessibility links

Breaking News
A woman rests near rubble in the Syrian town of Darat Izza in Aleppo Province on February 28.
A woman rests near rubble in the Syrian town of Darat Izza in Aleppo Province on February 28.

Live Blog: Tracking Islamic State

Follow all of the latest developments as they happen.

Latest News For February 29

-- The United States Army's elite Delta Force is on the verge of beginning operations to target, capture or kill top IS operatives in Iraq, after several weeks of covert preparation, an administration official with direct knowledge of the force's activities told CNN.

-- Syrian government forces have regained control of a road used by the army to access Aleppo, after making advances against Islamic State fighters, a monitoring group and state television reported.


-- Authorities in Iraq say the death toll from a double bombing at a market in Baghdad’s Shi’ite neighborhood of Sadr City rose to 73 on February 29 after several critically wounded victims died overnight.

-- Tajik media are reporting that a woman known to be the second wife of Gulmurod Halimov, the fugitive Tajik colonel who defected to the IS group, has left for Syria along with the couple's four young children.

-- The UN is poised to begin delivering aid to people living in besieged areas of Syria, making use of a truce brokered by the United States and Russia. The first deliveries are planned for Feb. 29, with aid due to reach about 150,000 Syrians in besieged areas over the next five days.

-- A truce negotiated between Syrian rebels and the government has caused a dramatic decrease in airstrikes around rebel-held territory, but there were few celebrations, with many residents suspecting a trick, CNN report.

* NOTE: Live blog posts are time-stamped according to Central European Time (CET).

12:57 29.11.2015

This has been doing the rounds on social media over the past few days:

12:06 29.11.2015

12:00 29.11.2015

RFE/RL's Georgian Service has given us this heart-rending video in which the mother of an Islamist militant tries to come to term with what has become of her son:

The mother of a Georgian man, who appeared in a video released on November 23 calling on Muslims to behead infidels, expressed bewilderment at her son's transformation. In an interview with RFE/RL Georgian Service correspondent Nata Imedaishvili, Meri Iremadze said she feels anger toward her son, Badri Iremadze. The interview was conducted on November 25 in the village of Nasakirali in Guria region of western Georgia.

Mother Of Georgian Islamic Militant Recruiter Speaks Out
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:01:19 0:00

11:12 29.11.2015

11:11 29.11.2015

11:07 29.11.2015

09:43 29.11.2015

Good morning. We'll start the live blog today with this item posted by our news desk overnight on the mass grave found in Iraq:

A bomb-rigged mass grave containing the remains of more than 120 people killed by the Islamic State (IS) group has been found in northern Iraq, an official told the AFP news agency.

It is the sixth mass grave found in or near the town of Sinjar since it was recaptured from IS militants earlier this month, said Mahma Khalil, the official responsible for the area.

It is estimated that the grave site contains the remains of 123 people, based on accounts from those who witnessed the executions.

The grave site, located 10 kilometers west of Sinjar, is surrounded by a large number of bombs.

The site has not yet been excavated, but some of the remains of the victims have been exposed by rainwater.

This is the biggest of the mass graves found so far, Sinjar's mayor, Mahma Khalil, told the BBC.

(AFP, BBC)

22:19 28.11.2015

We are now closing the live blog for today. Until we resume again, you can catch up with some of our other Islamic State coverage here.

20:12 28.11.2015

20:05 28.11.2015

The Kremlin has ordered sanctions against Turkey, our news desk reports:

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered sanctions against Turkey, including a ban on some goods and prohibiting the extensions of labor contracts for Turkish citizens working in Russia.

The decree, which was published on the Kremlin’s website on November 28, doesn’t specify which goods will be banned.

It also calls for ending chartered flights from Russia to Turkey and calls on Russian tour operators to stop selling vacation packages to Turkey.

The decree comes after Turkey shot down a Russian military jet near the Syrian border on November 24. The incident has drawn a harsh response from Moscow. (AP, Reuters)

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG