Accessibility links

Breaking News
A woman rests near rubble in the Syrian town of Darat Izza in Aleppo Province on February 28.
A woman rests near rubble in the Syrian town of Darat Izza in Aleppo Province on February 28.

Live Blog: Tracking Islamic State

Follow all of the latest developments as they happen.

Latest News For February 29

-- The United States Army's elite Delta Force is on the verge of beginning operations to target, capture or kill top IS operatives in Iraq, after several weeks of covert preparation, an administration official with direct knowledge of the force's activities told CNN.

-- Syrian government forces have regained control of a road used by the army to access Aleppo, after making advances against Islamic State fighters, a monitoring group and state television reported.


-- Authorities in Iraq say the death toll from a double bombing at a market in Baghdad’s Shi’ite neighborhood of Sadr City rose to 73 on February 29 after several critically wounded victims died overnight.

-- Tajik media are reporting that a woman known to be the second wife of Gulmurod Halimov, the fugitive Tajik colonel who defected to the IS group, has left for Syria along with the couple's four young children.

-- The UN is poised to begin delivering aid to people living in besieged areas of Syria, making use of a truce brokered by the United States and Russia. The first deliveries are planned for Feb. 29, with aid due to reach about 150,000 Syrians in besieged areas over the next five days.

-- A truce negotiated between Syrian rebels and the government has caused a dramatic decrease in airstrikes around rebel-held territory, but there were few celebrations, with many residents suspecting a trick, CNN report.

* NOTE: Live blog posts are time-stamped according to Central European Time (CET).

14:45 12.1.2016

Turkish Prime Minister Davutoglu has told German Chancellor Merkel that most of those killed in today's blast in Istanbul were German citizens, Hurriyet reports.

14:47 12.1.2016

Turkey has said that most of those killed in today's blast in Istanbul were German nationals. The largest number of foreign tourists in Turkey are from Germany, says Turkey analyst Aaron Stein.

14:52 12.1.2016

From our news desk:

Suicide Bomb Kills Two Iraqi Police, Wounds Senior Officer

Asuicide bomb blast has killed at least two Iraqi police and wounded a senior intelligence officer north of Baghdad.

Officials said the bomber hit the convoy of Colonel Qassem al-Anbaki, the head of police intelligence in Diyala Province, at a checkpoint near the city of Baquba on January 12.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which came a day after an Islamic State (IS) attack in a busy shopping area of Baghdad and other blasts around the country claimed at least 35 lives.

The IS group overran large swaths of territory north and west of Baghdad in June 2014.

Iraq declared victory over the IS group in Diyala early last year but that has not brought an end to attacks by the militants.

14:58 12.1.2016

Syrian government forces have pushed into the rebel stronghold of Salma in Latakia province. A video posted by a pro-government YouTube channel shows footage of government forces entering Salma.

Salma is strategically located on the road to the town of Jisr al-Shughour, which was captured by Islamist fighters including Al-Qaeda's Syrian wing the Al-Nusra Front in April. Syrian state media said at the time that they were battling a "large number of terrorists coming from the Turkish border."

15:08 12.1.2016

The United States and its allies conducted 23 strikes against the IS group in Iraq and Syria on January 11, the coalition leading the operations said in a statement.

15:11 12.1.2016

A Turkish official has said that nine Germans are among the dead in this morning's blast in Istanbul.

15:16 12.1.2016

15:24 12.1.2016

If the January 25 negotiations to achieve a broad political settlement in Syria fail, outside powers should "declare a cease-fire and find a way to impose it on their Syrian proxies," the New York Times editorial board writes today.

Citing the events this week around the besieged town of Madaya, where the UN has received "credible reports" that people are starving, the NYT writes:

Using food as a weapon violates international law, and the United States, Europe, Russia, Saudi Arabia and Iran, which all have influence with different proxy groups in Syria, have a responsibility to ensure that civilians have unconditional access to basic supplies.

15:28 12.1.2016

There is confusion over the identity of the suicide bomber reportedly responsible for the blast this morning in Istanbul.

Turkish President Erdogan said earlier that the bomber was thought to be a 28-year-old Syrian, but local agencies are reporting that the bomber was born in Saudi Arabia.

15:30 12.1.2016

From our news desk:

Bosnia Holds Four For Planning To Join IS Group

Authorities in Bosnia-Herzegovina say they have detained four people on suspicion of planning to join the Islamic State (IS) group.

Prosecutors said one of them, 22-year-old Senad Kostac, was detained in Turkey while trying to reach Syria and handed over to Bosnian authorities.

The other three, aged 26, 27 and 55, were arrested near the northwestern town of Velika Kladusa.

Several hand grenades, land mines, a machine gun, ammunition, and a flag of the IS group were seized during a police raid.

The operation followed similar raids in the Sarajevo area in December, when 11 people were arrested on suspicion of having links with the IS group. Eight of them were remanded in custody.

Bosnia hardened its legislation last year, allowing sentences of up to 20 years in jail for militants and their recruiters.

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG