20:12
15.4.2014
There's only one reason @vicenews's @SimonOstrovsky and @freddiepaxton have me in their car: Russian passport magic!
— Petr Shelomovskiy (@stopnarcotics) April 15, 2014
20:09
15.4.2014
Here's the response in Washington and Moscow to the latest developments in Ukraine (from RFE/RL's news desk):
The United States has given backing to Ukraine’s security operation against pro-Russian groups who have seized buildings in the east of the country.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said the Ukrainian government "has the responsibility to provide law and order and these [pro-Russian] provocations in eastern Ukraine are creating a situation in which the government has to respond."
The spokesman added that United States is "seriously considering" new sanctions against Russia, but is not considering providing lethal military aid to Ukraine at the current time.
The United States has previously accused Russia of orchestrating the unrest in eastern Ukraine in preparation for a possible military incursion there.
Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin has spoken with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon by telephone and told him that Moscow expects the UN to publicly condemn the security operation that Ukrainian authorities have launched today against pro-Russian groups occupying government buildings in eastern Ukrainian cities and towns.
According to the Kremlin press service, Putin told the UN secretary-general that the crisis in Ukraine has "escalated rapidly after authorities in Kyiv initiated the operation using force in southeastern Ukraine."
Putin said Russia expected the UN and the international community to clearly condemn these "anticonstitutional actions" by Ukrainian authorities.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said the Ukrainian government "has the responsibility to provide law and order and these [pro-Russian] provocations in eastern Ukraine are creating a situation in which the government has to respond."
The spokesman added that United States is "seriously considering" new sanctions against Russia, but is not considering providing lethal military aid to Ukraine at the current time.
The United States has previously accused Russia of orchestrating the unrest in eastern Ukraine in preparation for a possible military incursion there.
Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin has spoken with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon by telephone and told him that Moscow expects the UN to publicly condemn the security operation that Ukrainian authorities have launched today against pro-Russian groups occupying government buildings in eastern Ukrainian cities and towns.
According to the Kremlin press service, Putin told the UN secretary-general that the crisis in Ukraine has "escalated rapidly after authorities in Kyiv initiated the operation using force in southeastern Ukraine."
Putin said Russia expected the UN and the international community to clearly condemn these "anticonstitutional actions" by Ukrainian authorities.
19:40
15.4.2014
Helicopter supplies #ukraine troops 50km from Sloviansk pic.twitter.com/JSMO7Nn6vZ
— Simon Ostrovsky (@SimonOstrovsky) April 15, 2014
Another update from our new desk:
Ukraine's parliament has appointed a new National Guard commander.
In today's vote, 235 out of 283 lawmakers approved the appointment of General Stepan Poltorak, 49, to head the National Guard.
Poltorak has been the commander of Ukraine's Interior Ministry troops.
The creation of the National Guard, with some 60,000 volunteer troops, was approved by parliament last month after Russian forces occupied Ukraine's Crimea, which was later annexed by Moscow following a hastily staged referendum.
In today's vote, 235 out of 283 lawmakers approved the appointment of General Stepan Poltorak, 49, to head the National Guard.
Poltorak has been the commander of Ukraine's Interior Ministry troops.
The creation of the National Guard, with some 60,000 volunteer troops, was approved by parliament last month after Russian forces occupied Ukraine's Crimea, which was later annexed by Moscow following a hastily staged referendum.
19:37
15.4.2014
'Blood moon' over Eastern #Ukraine. Hope it's a peaceful not warlike omen. pic.twitter.com/HV1g6WhBpp
— Lindsey Hilsum (@lindseyhilsum) April 15, 2014
19:30
15.4.2014
Meanwhile, in Kyiv, the U.S. Embassy has issued this video, giving details of its $1 billion loan guarantee agreement with the Ukrainian government:
18:59
15.4.2014
Kyiv officials: No casualties among Ukrainian troops in #Kramatorsk http://t.co/UMP98vJpiy
— KyivPost (@KyivPost) April 15, 2014
18:37
15.4.2014
@BBCDanielS Maybe #Russia media had a script for the story.
— Anders Östlund (@andersostlund) April 15, 2014
17:55
15.4.2014
Another update from RFE/RL's news desk:
Ukraine's acting President Oleksandr Turchynov says government forces have captured the airport in the eastern town of Kramatorsk.
There was shooting during today's siege of the airport, and an unclear number of casualties have been reported.
Russia's Rossiya 24 television channel showed footage of Ukrainian warplanes flying low over the Kramatorsk airport, as helicopters hovered over the area.
Ukrainian forces supported by armored vehicles have also entered the eastern city of Slovyansk.
Reports said some 500 Ukrainian troops backed by 20 armored vehicles and tanks entered Slovyansk early this evening.
As the operations started, Ukrainian General Valeriy Krutov said pro-Russian groups occupying government buildings in eastern Ukrainian cities and towns "must be warned that if they do not lay down their arms, they will be destroyed."
Turchynov announced yesterday that government forces would launch an "antiterrorist" operation against cities and towns in the east where pro-Russian groups had taken control of government buildings.
Ukraine's acting President Oleksandr Turchynov says government forces have captured the airport in the eastern town of Kramatorsk.
There was shooting during today's siege of the airport, and an unclear number of casualties have been reported.
Russia's Rossiya 24 television channel showed footage of Ukrainian warplanes flying low over the Kramatorsk airport, as helicopters hovered over the area.
Ukrainian forces supported by armored vehicles have also entered the eastern city of Slovyansk.
Reports said some 500 Ukrainian troops backed by 20 armored vehicles and tanks entered Slovyansk early this evening.
As the operations started, Ukrainian General Valeriy Krutov said pro-Russian groups occupying government buildings in eastern Ukrainian cities and towns "must be warned that if they do not lay down their arms, they will be destroyed."
Turchynov announced yesterday that government forces would launch an "antiterrorist" operation against cities and towns in the east where pro-Russian groups had taken control of government buildings.
17:27
15.4.2014
The Ukrainian general is briefly abducted, gets shoved around and now gets let in the airbase again
— Olaf Koens (@obk) April 15, 2014
17:26
15.4.2014
Neither Russian sources nor pro-Maidan reliable on action in eastern #Ukraine. @ASLuhn is in #Kramatrosk reporting as eyewitness.
— Lindsey Hilsum (@lindseyhilsum) April 15, 2014