A Russian newspaper reports that the bomb that downed a passenger plane over Egypt last month had been placed in the aircraft's main cabin -- not in the cargo compartment.
Citing a source close to the investigation into the crash, the daily Kommersant reported on November 18 that the epicenter of the explosion appeared to have been at the rear of the cabin.
"According to a preliminary version, the bomb could have been laid under the passenger seat by the window,” it said. “Its operation has led to the destruction of the frame and depressurization of the cabin, which had an explosive character."
The report comes after Russia confirmed that a bomb had brought down Metrojet's Airbus A321 over the Sinai Peninsula on October 31, killing all 224 people on board.
An affiliate of the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for downing the plane.
Meanwhile, the Kremlin says the Russian and Egyptian presidents have agreed on measures to improve airline security as a step toward resuming flights between the two countries.
The Kremlin made the announcement after a telephone conversation between Vladimir Putin and Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on November 18.
It said the two leaders also agreed "close cooperation" between their countries' security services in order to find those responsible for downing the Metrojet plane on October 31.
Russia suspended all flights to Egypt following the tragedy.