Russians news agencies said Putin -- a novice only attempting his third scuba dive -- had descended just 2 meters and was simply lucky to have discovered the objects while surrounded by reporters because the water was so clear.
As it turns out, frogman Putin discovered a lot more than just jugs. So we've compiled a list of some of those artifacts:
- Venus de Milo's missing arms
- Mikheil Saakashvili's "I ♥ Putin" button
- Vladimir Zhirinovsky's undergraduate thesis on multiculturalism
- Anna Chapman's decoder ring
- Alyaksandr Lukashenka's signed copy of Ferdinand Marcos's autobiography
- Ramzan Kadyrov's gimp outfit
- Boris Yeltsin's "My Daughter Went To Switzerland And All I Got Was This Lousy Bank Account" shot glass
- Mikhail Gorbachev's Langley cafeteria pass
- Mikhail Khodorkovsky's 1994 tax return
- Dmitry Medvedev's cojones
Can you think of anything we missed?
-- RFE/RL Newsroom