BISHKEK -- Former acting Kyrgyz Prosecutor-General Kubatbek Baibolov says he will run for president in this fall's election, RFE/RL's Kyrgyz Service reports.
Baibolov told RFE/RL on May 16 that several political parties offered their support for his candidacy, though he did not name those parties.
President Roza Otunbaeva sacked Baibolov as the country's acting prosecutor-general on March 31 for his wife's alleged involvement in corrupt financial deals with MegaCom, the country's leading communications service provider, and Baibolov's failure to pursue criminal charges against MegaCom officials after they bought his family's house.
After being fired, Baibolov accused Otunbaeva, Prime Minister Almazbek Atambaev, and Deputy Prime Minister Omurbek Babanov of being incompetent.
Babanov temporarily stepped down from his duties on April 13 while a parliamentary commission investigated Baibolov's allegations that he was involved in illegal financial activities.
But the commission found nothing to substantiate Baibolov's allegations and Babanov resumed his duties
on May 16.
Babanov, the head of the Respublika party, is considered by many to be a potential presidential candidate.
Baibolov told RFE/RL today that the commission's results are superficial as many government officials support Babanov.
Otunbaeva, who took power in April 2010 after former President Kurmanbek Bakiev was ousted amid antigovernment protests, pledged earlier that she would not seek another term in office.
The exact date of the presidential election has not been officially set but is due to be held before the end of the year.Read more in Kyrgyz here