A TASS report:
A sum of 1.5 billion U.S. dollars of arrested financial assets of Ukraine's former President Viktor Yanukovich and his team will be used to finance the army, Ukrainian Prime Minister
Arseniy Yatsenyuk said on Sunday.
"I hope the law enforcement system and the judicial authorities will do their best to have the money stolen from the Ukrainian people be returned to the budget. This source will be used to modernize the army and raise social standards," he said in traditional weekly televised
interview. He said he meant a sum of 1.5 billion U.S. dollars "in the assets of the former [Yanukovich] regime which are under arrest but there is neither a court ruling nor forfeiture to the budget as of yet."
In 2014, Ukraine's state financial monitoring authority ruled to arrest 1.5 billion U.S. dollars allegedly owned by Yanukovich, his family and his closest mates. The money however has not yet been forfeited since there is no relevant court ruling. "It is impossible to return the
criminally-earned assets as long as there is no court ruling," Vitaly Kasko, a deputy prosecutor general, said back then.
In September 2015, Ukraine's government took a decision to change the legislation to forfeit properties owned by Yanukovich and other former government members, including Nikolai Azarov, Sergei Arbuzov,Vitaly Zakharchenko, and Alexander Klimenko.
The last Soviet-era monument has come down in Dnipropetrovsk:
Seventeen families in the eastern Ukrainian city of Slovyansk returned to their rebuilt apartments, which had been destroyed in fighting between Ukrainian forces and Russia-backed separatists in 2014.
This mural recently appeared on a building in Kharkiv:
In "Letters from Occupied Donbas," Serhiy Andreev writes about how so many of his friends joined the Russia-backed separatists:
An exhibition of portraits of Ukrainian political prisoners being held in Russia opened in Kyiv:
A Savchenko lawyer says a verdict in her case could come as early as March.
A lawyer for Nadia Savchenko says the Russian investigation into her case did not find any evidence proving her guilt:
Report on the recent attacks in the Donbas region:
From Radio Svoboda, winter in the Carpathians: