Accessibility links

Breaking News
Ten-year-old Sasha stands in a bomb shelter in Donetsk in eastern Ukraine.
Ten-year-old Sasha stands in a bomb shelter in Donetsk in eastern Ukraine.

Live Blog: Ukraine In Crisis (Archive)

Follow all of the latest developments as they happen.

Final News Summary For September 29

-- We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog. Find it here.

-- Ukraine is marking 75 years since the World War II massacre of 33,771 Jews on the outskirts of Nazi-occupied Kyiv.

-- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has urged Russian President Vladimir Putin to stabilize a fragile cease-fire in Ukraine and do all he could to improve what Merkel called a "catastrophic humanitarian situation" in Syria.

-- Russia's Supreme Court has upheld a decision by a Moscow-backed Crimean court to ban the Mejlis, the self-governing body of Crimean Tatars in the occupied Ukrainian territory.

* NOTE: Times are stated according to local time in Kyiv (GMT/UTC +3)

11:32 17.12.2015

Not surprisingly Ukraine has been featuring in Russian President Vladimir Putin's annual presser in Moscow.

There's been a question on Russia's reported military presence in Ukraine:

Nadia Savchenko has also featured:

There's also been talk of a possible prisoner exchange:

11:33 17.12.2015

11:34 17.12.2015

11:46 17.12.2015

Here are some more details from our news desk about reports that Nadia Savchenko has gone on hunger strike again:

Ukrainian military pilot Nadia Savchenko is seen inside a defendant's cage as she attends a court hearing in the Russian city of Donetsk last week.
Ukrainian military pilot Nadia Savchenko is seen inside a defendant's cage as she attends a court hearing in the Russian city of Donetsk last week.

Savchenko Goes On Hunger Strike As Detention Is Extended

Ukrainian military pilot Nadia Savchenko, who is in detention in Russia after being accused of involvement in the death of two Russian journalists, has gone on a hunger strike.

A Savchenko lawyer, Nikolai Polzov, said in a tweet that the detainee announced the hunger strike in a Donetsk city court in Russia's Rostov region on December 17.

"Nadia Savchenko has gone on a hunger strike until the end of the trial," Polzov said, adding that she will begin a "dry" hunger strike when she is sentenced, meaning that she will refuse both food and water.

"She demands to be released," he said.

Polzov said the court also agreed with a prosecutor's request to extend her detention until April 16.

Russian officials say Savchenko helped relay information to artillery units that fired near a location in eastern Ukraine where two Russian journalists were killed by artillery fire.

Savchenko -- who is also being charged with illegally crossing the Russian border -- says she was captured by pro-Russian separatists in July 2014 and forcibly taken to Russia.

If found guilty, Savchenko faces up to 25 years in prison.

The 34-year-old has spent over a year in custody in Russia, during which time she has already protested her detention by going on hunger strike for more than 80 days.

(TASS, Interfax)

12:28 17.12.2015

13:08 17.12.2015

13:11 17.12.2015

13:12 17.12.2015

13:17 17.12.2015

Here is today's map of the latest situation in the Donbas combat zone, courtesy of the Ukrainian Defense Ministry (CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE):

14:09 17.12.2015

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG