Accessibility links

Breaking News
An activist stops a lorry near the village of Chongar, in the Kherson region adjacent to Crimea.
An activist stops a lorry near the village of Chongar, in the Kherson region adjacent to Crimea.

Live Blog: Ukraine In Crisis (ARCHIVE)

Follow all of the latest developments as they happen.

Final Summary For September 21

-- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has called on Russia to withdraw heavy weapons from eastern Ukraine.

-- No trucks have passed through the administrative border from mainland Ukraine to Crimea overnight, according to Oleh Slobodyan, the spokesperson for Ukraine’s State Border Service.

-- Hundreds of pro-Kyiv activists from Crimea's Tatar community and other opposition activists are taking part in the blockade of roads from Ukraine to the Crimean peninsula to protest Russia's annexation of the region last year.

-- The German government has criticized Russia for not distancing itself from plans by Russian-backed separatists to hold local elections in eastern Ukraine without consulting Kyiv.

*NOTE: Times are stated according to local time in Kyiv

13:45 29.7.2015

13:47 29.7.2015

13:48 29.7.2015

13:53 29.7.2015

A tweet from Ukraine's ambassador to the UN:

13:58 29.7.2015

14:09 29.7.2015

14:52 29.7.2015

Here is an update from the Crimean Desk of RFE/RL's Ukrainian Desk:

KYIV -- Russian officials have blocked Crimean Tatar leaders from leaving Crimea on the eve of a major world congress scheduled in Ankara this weekend.

The chairman of the Central Election Commission of the Crimean Tatar Assembly (Qurultay), Zair Smedlyaev, told RFE/RL that he and Nariman Celal, the first deputy of the Crimean Tatars' self-governing body, the Mejlis, were handed subpoenas by the Russian investigative committee's directorate in Crimea on July 28.

According to the subpoenas, Smedlyaev and Celal must report to the investigative committee on August 1 for questioning about clashes in February 2014 that pitted Crimean Tatars and pro-Ukrainian activists against pro-Russian activists near the regional parliament.

The World Congress of Crimean Tatars is scheduled for August 1-2. Some 200 Crimean Tatar groups from several countries are expected to attend the gathering.

Smedlyaev says the subpoenas were handed to prevent his and other Crimean Tatar leaders' participation at the international event in Turkey.

15:01 29.7.2015

15:03 29.7.2015

15:06 29.7.2015

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG