There are conflicting reports emerging about the Islamic State (IS) group's advances around Hit in Anbar province.
Reports in the Iraqi press on October 23 said that a large-scale military campaign is to be launched against Islamic State (IS) gunmen near the Al-Furat sub-district, which is just east of Hit in Iraq's Anbar province.
The report came as the BBC's Arabic Service said that IS gunmen were in control of the Al-Furat sub-district.
Iraq's Shafaaq news reported on October 22 that IS militants had launched a major offensive against Al-Furat, and that the Iraqi Air Force had launched strikes against IS in the area.
Al-Iraq Net reported on October 23 that reinforcements had been sent to help combat IS militants in the area.
An RFE/RL correspondent in Iraq reported on October 22 that IS militants had launched a three-pronged attack on Amiriyat Al-Fallujah east of Ramadi, the fiercest in around two months, resulting in heavy clashes with tribal and security forces. The correspondent cited a source in Anbar Operations as saying that Iraqi air attacks managed to destroy six tanks that IS militants were attempting to drive into Amiriyat Al-Fallujah. 30 militants were also killed, the source said.
Amid the fighting, the Anbar provincial council is constructing temporary housing in Ramadi, Haditha, Al-Khalidiya, and Al-Habbaniyah for Iraqis displaced by IS militants. The displaced civilians are currently living in tents or in schools and government buildings, according to the council.
-- Joanna Paraszczuk