Accessibility links

NASA Maps The Earth's Vegetation

Satellite images collected during the course of a year by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) provide a vivid depiction of worldwide vegetation. According to a NOAA report, although 75 percent of the planet is a relatively unchanging ocean of blue, the remaining 25 percent of the Earth’s surface is a dynamic green. (5 PHOTOS)

Satellite data from April 2012 to April 2013 were used to create this image. Dark green areas are lush in vegetation, whereas pale colors are more sparsely covered.
1

Satellite data from April 2012 to April 2013 were used to create this image. Dark green areas are lush in vegetation, whereas pale colors are more sparsely covered.

Amidst the deserts of Egypt, the Nile River provides life-sustaining water to the region. Also visible are the urbanized areas of northern Egypt, based on satellite imaging data taken July 9-15, 2012.
2

Amidst the deserts of Egypt, the Nile River provides life-sustaining water to the region. Also visible are the urbanized areas of northern Egypt, based on satellite imaging data taken July 9-15, 2012.

The Tigris (north) and Euphrates (south) rivers create a fertile crescent through central Iraq. The images were taken November 12-18, 2012.
3

The Tigris (north) and Euphrates (south) rivers create a fertile crescent through central Iraq. The images were taken November 12-18, 2012.

Moisture from the Caspian Sea precipitates on the northern edge of the Elburz Mountains; on the southern edge, deserts emerge in the rain shadow. Images taken November 5-11, 2012.
4

Moisture from the Caspian Sea precipitates on the northern edge of the Elburz Mountains; on the southern edge, deserts emerge in the rain shadow. Images taken November 5-11, 2012.

Dense boreal forest in central Russia before wildfires near the Russian town of Langepas. Images collected June 18-24, 2012.
5

Dense boreal forest in central Russia before wildfires near the Russian town of Langepas. Images collected June 18-24, 2012.

XS
SM
MD
LG