ST. PETERSBURG -- Authorities the Russian capital and the second city of St. Petersburg have announced plans to ban on the use of pyrotechnics in closed areas after a deadly nightclub fire last week, RFE/RL's Russian Service reports.
At least 117 people died and dozens of others were injured as a result of a blaze at a packed disco in the midwestern city of Perm.
St. Petersburg officials say Governor Valentina Matvienko is expected to approve their decision to prohibit indoor use of fireworks and make it law.
A similar order was announced earlier in the day by Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov.
Fireworks at a celebration in the Lame Horse nightclub in Perm caused a fire on the ceiling of the club that spread quickly and trapped its victims.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev declared today a day of mourning for the victims, and the owner and two managers have been arrested for alleged manslaughter and safety violations.
Hundreds of Russians every year die in fires, but the Lame Horse incident and footage of the tragedy transpiring have particularly grabbed the Russian public's attention.