ORAL, Kazakhstan -- Locals in West Kazakhstan Oblast have been told by government officials not to eat meat until further notice.
The measure was prompted by an outbreak of blackleg disease was discovered in a regional village this month. The disease poisons and kills livestock.
Regional veterinary chief Farukh Mukanov told RFE/RL's Kazakh Service that 12 blackleg cases have been registered in the region since December.
Mukanov said the bacteria that causes the disease among livestock can survive for 35 years in the soil.
Although the disease is not fatal to humans, consumption of contaminated meat can cause food poisoning.