Accessibility links

Breaking News

Tests Confirm Anthrax Deaths, Infections At Village In Central Kazakhstan


QARAGHANDY, Kazakhstan -- A state forensic laboratory in central Kazakhstan has confirmed that two villagers in the Qaraghandy region have died as a result of anthrax infections.

The Qaraghandy region's Deputy Governor Shagurashid Mamalinov on June 22 said tests confirmed that Bacillus anthracis -- the bacteria that causes the infectious disease -- were present in samples of raw beef that were being sold for human consumption in the village of Erkindik.

Mamalinov said both of the villagers who died, along with six other residents of Erkindik who have been hospitalized since June 19 with anthrax infections, had bought the meat from a neighbor.

The village has been quarantined and medical personnel were working there to prevent the disease from spreading.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), domestic and wild animals -- such as cattle, sheep, goats, antelope, and deer -- can become infected by inhaling or ingesting spores in contaminated soil, plants, or water.

The CDC says all types of anthrax infections can cause death if they are not treated with antibiotics.

  • 16x9 Image

    RFE/RL's Kazakh Service

    RFE/RL's Radio Azattyq has been an important source of information for people in Kazakhstan for decades. In 2009, Azattyq won the prestigious 2009 Online Journalism Award for "standing in defense of citizen’s rights to seek and receive information."

XS
SM
MD
LG