Accessibility links

Breaking News

Kyrgyz Deputy Speaker: Murders Of Journalist, Politician Connected

Kyrgyz journalist Gennady Pavlyuk was murdered in 2009.
Kyrgyz journalist Gennady Pavlyuk was murdered in 2009.
BISHKEK -- Kyrgyzstan's deputy speaker told parliament on October 6 that the 2009 murders of independent journalist Gennady Pavlyuk and former senior official Medet Sadyrkulov are connected, RFE/RL's Kyrgyz Service reports.

Asiya Sasykbaeva asked law enforcement officials and the prosecutor-general to make public all details of the investigations into the two killings.

Sasykbaeva said the investigations into both murders lack transparency. She said there is evidence proving that the two cases are connected, but did not elaborate.

Pavlyuk was thrown from a tall building in Almaty, Kazakhstan, on December 16, 2009 with his arms and legs bound and died six days later.

Before travelling to Almaty, Pavlyuk had met with Omurbek Tekebaev -- then a Kyrgyz opposition politician -- and discussed possible cooperation with Tekebaev's Ata-Meken (Fatherland) party.

Pavlyuk was known in Kyrgyzstan under the pseudonym Rustam Ibragimbek. He founded the "White Steamer" newspaper and website. He also wrote for the newspaper "Vecherny Bishkek" (Evening Bishkek) and the Russian weekly "Argumenty i Fakty" (Arguments and Facts).

Three men are currently on trial in Almaty for their suspected role in Pavlyuk's murder. Two of them are Kazakh citizens and the third is a former Kyrgyz intelligence officer.

Sadyrkulov, who served as presidential administration head for several years under President Kurmanbek Bakiev, was found dead with two of his associates in a burnt out car in March 2009, shortly after Sadyrkulov resigned to join the anti-Bakiev opposition.

At the time, officials said the deaths were the result of a traffic accident. But Sadyrkulov's relatives challenged that finding, saying the bodies were in positions indicating that the victims were already dead when the car caught fire.

The investigation into Sadyrkulov's death resumed in April 2010 after Bakiev fled the country in the wake of antigovernment demonstrations, and the case was reclassified as premeditated murder.

Read more in Kyrgyz here