Accessibility links

Breaking News

Russian Firm Wins Jordanian Nuclear Contract

Russia's state nuclear company, Rosatom, has won a tender to construct Jordan's first nuclear power plant.

Rosatom's press service said on November 1 that the Russian company won the contract to build two reactors for the plant, which will be located in the country's northeast.

The project is worth an estimated $10 billion.

Rosatom will have a 49 percent stake in the project; Jordan will have the other 51 percent.

Rosatom's bid beat out a proposal from a rival French-Japanese consortium comprised of Areva and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

Jordanian officials are hopeful the plant will supply some 12 percent of the country's energy needs by 2020.

Based on reporting by Interfax and RIA Novosti

RFE/RL has been declared an "undesirable organization" by the Russian government.

If you are in Russia or the Russia-controlled parts of Ukraine and hold a Russian passport or are a stateless person residing permanently in Russia or the Russia-controlled parts of Ukraine, please note that you could face fines or imprisonment for sharing, liking, commenting on, or saving our content, or for contacting us.

To find out more, click here.