The U.S. government said on July 21 that it has information about a "potential, imminent threat" against its citizens in areas of Saudi Arabia’s port city of Jeddah that are frequented by Westerners.
The U.S. Embassy in Saudi Arabia said it had "received reports" about the potential threat against U.S. citizens in areas of Jeddah such as markets, restaurants, and shopping malls.
The notice, which was published online, did not provide further details about the possible threat.
State Department spokesman John Kirby told reporters in Washington that the notice is "a security message, not a travel warning."
"Obviously, our consulate felt that the information they had was credible enough, serious enough to warrant sending that message out immediately," he said.
Saudi Arabia was hit by three bomb attacks earlier this month, including a suicide bombing near the the U.S. Consulate in Jeddah, that Central Intelligence Agency Director John Brennan said were consistent with the methods of the extremist Islamic State (IS) group.
Saudi Arabia is a member of the U.S.-led coalition fighting IS forces in Syria and Iraq.