Turkey says its role in the U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State (IS) extremist group will continue without interruption despite tensions between the West and Ankara over its massive crackdown on dissent following last month's failed military coup.
Defense Minister Fikri Isik made the statement in an interview with the Haberturk television channel on August 12.
Turkey has dismissed thousands of soldiers, including around 40 percent of its generals, in the wake of the abortive July 15 coup, which Ankara says was instigated by followers of U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen.
The cleric has denied involvement in last month's coup attempt that left more than 270 people dead.
The United States and the EU have urged the Turkish government to show restraint in its crackdown at home, where tens of thousands of troops, police, and bureaucrats have been detained, dismissed, or investigated for alleged links to the coup.
Based on reporting by Reuters