Accessibility links

Breaking News
A portrait of slain separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko hangs outside the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theatre on September 2.
A portrait of slain separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko hangs outside the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theatre on September 2.

Live Blog: Ukraine In Crisis (Archive)

-- EDITOR'S NOTE: We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog as of September 3, 2018. You can find it here.

-- Tens of thousands of people gathered on September 2 in the separatist stronghold of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine to mourn a top rebel leader who was recently killed in a bomb attack.

-- Prominent Ukrainian historian Mykola Shityuk has been found dead in his home city of Mykolaiv, police said on September 2.​

-- Ukraine says it has imprisoned the man it accused of being recruited by Russia’s secret services to organize a murder plot against self-exiled Russian reporter and Kremlin critic Arkady Babchenko.

-- Ukraine and Russia are trading blame for the killing of a top separatist leader in eastern Ukraine.

-- Aleksandr Zakharchenko, the head of the head of the breakaway separatist entity known as the Donetsk People’s Republic, was killed in an explosion at a cafe in Donetsk on August 31.

-- The United States is ready to widen arms supplies to Ukraine to help build up the country's naval and air defense forces in the face of continuing Russian support for eastern separatists, the U.S. special envoy for Ukraine told The Guardian.

-- The spiritual head of the worldwide Orthodox Church in Istanbul has hosted Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill for talks on Ukraine's bid to split from the Russian church, a move strongly opposed by Moscow.

*Time stamps on the blog refer to local time in Ukraine

00:31 19.9.2017

An uplifting story:

00:30 19.9.2017

Seven attacks against Ukrainian forces today, two wounded:

00:29 19.9.2017

Ukraine has attracted some $3 billion in Eurobonds:

00:28 19.9.2017

00:27 19.9.2017

Fire killed 15 people in Ukraine this week:

00:27 19.9.2017

Experts tell Radio Svoboda -- Reliance on Russian gas is a common threat to the power systems of Ukraine and the EU:

13:58 18.9.2017

Russian Court Postpones Hearing On Siemens' Crimea Turbines Lawsuit

By RFE/RL

A Russian court has delayed hearings in a lawsuit filed by German conglomerate Siemens against a Russian state firm over the transfer of power turbines to Ukraine's Russian-occupied Crimea region.

A preliminary hearing had been scheduled for September 18, but the Moscow Arbitration Court rescheduled it for October 16, according to the court’s documents.

AFP news agency reported that the decision to postpone the hearings was made at the request of the defendant, Technopromexport, a subsidiary of state conglomerate Rostec.

Siemens lodged the suit against Technopromexport in July, after it emerged that four power turbines it sent to a power plant in Russia ended up in Crimea.

The transfer of the equipment to Crimea contravened European Union sanctions imposed after Moscow occupied and took control of the Black Sea peninsula in 2014.

Last month, the Moscow Arbitration Court rejected a request by Siemens to seize the gas turbines and to ban their installation ahead of preliminary hearings.

The turbines, manufactured in Russia by a joint project involving Siemens, were sold to Technopromexport in 2015.

Siemens says the equipment was to be installed at a plant in Taman, in southern Russia, and that the Russian company breached contract conditions by sending them to Crimea. It is seeking the return of equipment to its original point of destination.

Russian Deputy Energy Minister Andrei Cherezov told state-run news agency TASS earlier this month that the turbines were delivered to Crimea legally and will be put into operation according to an existing schedule, despite the lawsuit.

Moscow needs the turbines for two Crimean power plants in order to ensure a stable power supply for the peninsula’s residents.

Crimea used to rely on the Ukrainian power grid but is now dependent on Russian electricity.

Crimea has been subjected to EU sanctions on energy technology since Russian military forces seized control of the Ukrainian region in March 2014 and the Kremlin staged a referendum that has been deemed as illegitimate by most countries in the world.

Last month, the EU widened sanctions against Russian companies and persons, including Technopromeksport and Cherezov, over the transfer of the turbines to Crimea.

The Russian Foreign Ministry called the decision an "unfriendly and unjustified" step.

With reporting by AFP, RAPSI, and TASS
12:55 18.9.2017

'Rapid Trident' Military Drills Continue In Ukraine

U.S.-led military drills continue near the western Ukrainian city of Yavoriv. More than 1,800 troops from 14 countries are taking part in the Rapid Trident exercises, held each year since 1996. The two weeks of war games, which run until September 23, are designed to test and build Ukraine's interoperability with NATO allies and partners. It comes as Russia and Belarus hold joint military exercises, Zapad (West) 2017, involving about 13,000 troops. (U.S. Army video)

'Rapid Trident' Military Drills Continue In Ukraine
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:00:27 0:00

12:23 18.9.2017

Here is today's map of the security situation in eastern Ukraine, according to the National Security and Defense Council:

10:40 18.9.2017

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG