Accessibility links

Breaking News
A portrait of slain separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko hangs outside the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theatre on September 2.
A portrait of slain separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko hangs outside the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theatre on September 2.

Live Blog: Ukraine In Crisis (Archive)

-- EDITOR'S NOTE: We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog as of September 3, 2018. You can find it here.

-- Tens of thousands of people gathered on September 2 in the separatist stronghold of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine to mourn a top rebel leader who was recently killed in a bomb attack.

-- Prominent Ukrainian historian Mykola Shityuk has been found dead in his home city of Mykolaiv, police said on September 2.​

-- Ukraine says it has imprisoned the man it accused of being recruited by Russia’s secret services to organize a murder plot against self-exiled Russian reporter and Kremlin critic Arkady Babchenko.

-- Ukraine and Russia are trading blame for the killing of a top separatist leader in eastern Ukraine.

-- Aleksandr Zakharchenko, the head of the head of the breakaway separatist entity known as the Donetsk People’s Republic, was killed in an explosion at a cafe in Donetsk on August 31.

-- The United States is ready to widen arms supplies to Ukraine to help build up the country's naval and air defense forces in the face of continuing Russian support for eastern separatists, the U.S. special envoy for Ukraine told The Guardian.

-- The spiritual head of the worldwide Orthodox Church in Istanbul has hosted Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill for talks on Ukraine's bid to split from the Russian church, a move strongly opposed by Moscow.

*Time stamps on the blog refer to local time in Ukraine

19:43 23.10.2017

19:40 23.10.2017

19:37 23.10.2017

19:31 23.10.2017

18:28 23.10.2017

NABU says raids Odesa mayor's home, office:

By RFE/RL

Ukrainian anticorruption investigators have raided the home and office of the mayor of the Black Sea port of Odesa, who is at the center of an embezzlement probe.

The National Anticorruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) said the searches were conducted on October 23 at the premises of Odesa Mayor Hennadiy Trukhanov and his associates.

Odesa authorities are suspected of embezzling funds from contracts assigned for repairing a highway and approving loans meant to help refurbish the local airport but which vanished.

"Since detectives are also checking the possibility of the Odesa mayor's involvement in these criminal offenses, the searches are being held at his home and office," NABU said in a statement.

In comments to RFE/RL, Trukhanov confirmed that his office was searched by NABU agents. However, he denied that his home was also raided.

The raids came nearly a week after the start of the first sustained wave of antigovernment protests in Kyiv since Ukraine's 2014 pro-EU revolution brought down the Russia-backed regime of Viktor Yanukovych.

The anticorruption rallies are currently being spearheaded by Mikheil Saakashvili -- a former Georgian president who became regional governor of Odesa in February 2015.

Saakashvili accused Trukhanov of being one of Odesa's corruption bosses and pledged to bring him to justice, but eventually became frustrated about his inability to tackle bribery and resigned last year.

Saakashvili went on to accuse President Petro Poroshenko of knowing about the criminal activities in Odesa but failing to act in order to protect his political friends.

Poroshenko dismisses the charge and accuses Saakashvili of trying to further destabilize Ukraine. (w/RFE/RL's Ukrainian Service, AFP)

17:07 23.10.2017

16:29 23.10.2017

16:01 23.10.2017

15:58 23.10.2017

15:55 23.10.2017

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG