Accessibility links

Breaking News
A portrait of slain separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko hangs outside the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theatre on September 2.
A portrait of slain separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko hangs outside the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theatre on September 2.

Live Blog: Ukraine In Crisis (Archive)

-- EDITOR'S NOTE: We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog as of September 3, 2018. You can find it here.

-- Tens of thousands of people gathered on September 2 in the separatist stronghold of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine to mourn a top rebel leader who was recently killed in a bomb attack.

-- Prominent Ukrainian historian Mykola Shityuk has been found dead in his home city of Mykolaiv, police said on September 2.​

-- Ukraine says it has imprisoned the man it accused of being recruited by Russia’s secret services to organize a murder plot against self-exiled Russian reporter and Kremlin critic Arkady Babchenko.

-- Ukraine and Russia are trading blame for the killing of a top separatist leader in eastern Ukraine.

-- Aleksandr Zakharchenko, the head of the head of the breakaway separatist entity known as the Donetsk People’s Republic, was killed in an explosion at a cafe in Donetsk on August 31.

-- The United States is ready to widen arms supplies to Ukraine to help build up the country's naval and air defense forces in the face of continuing Russian support for eastern separatists, the U.S. special envoy for Ukraine told The Guardian.

-- The spiritual head of the worldwide Orthodox Church in Istanbul has hosted Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill for talks on Ukraine's bid to split from the Russian church, a move strongly opposed by Moscow.

*Time stamps on the blog refer to local time in Ukraine

10:50 19.11.2017

10:21 19.11.2017

Good morning. We'll start the live blog today with this item that RFE/RL's Washington bureau posted overnight:

Trump To Get Proposal To Supply Defensive Weapons To Ukraine, ABC News Reports

U.S. Javelin launchers and missiles could be heading to Ukraine. (file photo)
U.S. Javelin launchers and missiles could be heading to Ukraine. (file photo)

Senior aides will present U.S. President Donald Trump with a $47 million plan to finance and sell high-tech defensive weapons to Ukraine to bolster its efforts to repel Russian aggression in the region, ABC News reported, quoting a State Department source.

ABC News on November 18 said the plan would supply Ukraine with weapons that include portable Javelin antitank missiles.

News reports say a shoulder-mounted weapon Javelin costs about $126,000 per launcher and $78,000 for each missile.

A spokesman for the National Security Council (NSC) told ABC on November 17 that the agency had "no announcement at this time." The NSC decided earlier this week to green-light the presentation of the package, ABC said.

Any decision on the matter has to be approved by the U.S. Congress, as well as Trump.

Ukrainian government forces are battling Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine in a war that has killed more than 10,000 people since April 2014.

Russia also seized control of Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula and annexed the region in March 2014.

Escalation Fears

During a visit to Ukraine in August, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis signaled his personal support for providing weapons to Kyiv. That comes in sharp contrast to the previous White House administration, which feared that supplying weapons could escalate the situation and tensions with Russia.

But such a move would also represent a reversal from the Republican party platform on sending lethal weapons to Ukraine.

During the 2016 presidential campaign, after Trump became the party nominee, the Republican platform was shifted from supporting "lethal defensive arms" to Ukraine to more vague language calling for "appropriate assistance.”

Trump, during the campaign and into his presidency, has pressed for better relations with Russia, worrying some that he was looking to weaken support for the pro-Western government in Kyiv and to possibly attempt to ease sanctions on Moscow imposed for its aggression in Ukraine.

A State Department official told ABC that a meeting will be held in the coming weeks to discuss the "public messaging" related to the sale.

With reporting by ABC News, AP, and The Hill
20:59 18.11.2017

That concludes our live-blogging of the Ukraine crisis for Saturday, November 18, 2017. Check back here tomorrow for more of our continuing coverage.

20:56 18.11.2017

20:54 18.11.2017

20:53 18.11.2017

20:52 18.11.2017

19:18 18.11.2017

19:15 18.11.2017

17:10 18.11.2017

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG