Accessibility links

Breaking News
A portrait of slain separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko hangs outside the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theatre on September 2.
A portrait of slain separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko hangs outside the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theatre on September 2.

Live Blog: Ukraine In Crisis (Archive)

-- EDITOR'S NOTE: We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog as of September 3, 2018. You can find it here.

-- Tens of thousands of people gathered on September 2 in the separatist stronghold of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine to mourn a top rebel leader who was recently killed in a bomb attack.

-- Prominent Ukrainian historian Mykola Shityuk has been found dead in his home city of Mykolaiv, police said on September 2.​

-- Ukraine says it has imprisoned the man it accused of being recruited by Russia’s secret services to organize a murder plot against self-exiled Russian reporter and Kremlin critic Arkady Babchenko.

-- Ukraine and Russia are trading blame for the killing of a top separatist leader in eastern Ukraine.

-- Aleksandr Zakharchenko, the head of the head of the breakaway separatist entity known as the Donetsk People’s Republic, was killed in an explosion at a cafe in Donetsk on August 31.

-- The United States is ready to widen arms supplies to Ukraine to help build up the country's naval and air defense forces in the face of continuing Russian support for eastern separatists, the U.S. special envoy for Ukraine told The Guardian.

-- The spiritual head of the worldwide Orthodox Church in Istanbul has hosted Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill for talks on Ukraine's bid to split from the Russian church, a move strongly opposed by Moscow.

*Time stamps on the blog refer to local time in Ukraine

22:29 30.12.2017

22:27 30.12.2017

19:47 30.12.2017

19:46 30.12.2017

19:38 30.12.2017

19:00 30.12.2017

Here's more from RFE/RL's news desk on the hostage stand-off in Kyiv:

Man With Explosives Takes 11 Hostages In Kharkiv

A man believed to be carrying explosives has taken nine adults and two children hostage in a post office in the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, according to Ukrainian police.

Regional police chief Oleh Bekh told the 112 news channel on December 30 that the unidentified man is calm, has not made any demands and is in regular contact with police via the telephones of the hostages.

"We are trying to do everything to maintain communication with him and to do everything that is necessary to ensure the people are released," Bekh said.

Man 'Armed With Explosives' Barricaded Inside Kharkiv Post Office
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:00:26 0:00

The man in the post office was concerned about last week's prisoner swap between the Ukrainian authorities and Russia-backed separatists and thought more prisoners should have been released, Bekh said.

He added that police did not know what the man wanted.

In the December 27 swap, Ukraine handed 233 captives over to the Russia-backed separatists in the eastern Ukrainian regions of Luhansk and Donetsk, while the separatists handed 74 Ukrainian nationals over to Kyiv.

The Russia-backed separatists seized parts of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions in March 2014, igniting a conflict that has killed more than 10,300 people.

Hostilities are still ongoing despite a 2015 cease-fire deal, severely straining Moscow's relations with Kyiv and the West.

With reporting by Reuters and RFE/RL’s Ukrainian Service
17:37 30.12.2017

Here is today's map of the latest situation in the Donbas conflict zone, according to the Ukrainian Defense Ministry (CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE):

17:35 30.12.2017

17:11 30.12.2017

This may not be related to the crisis, but we're keeping an eye on it just in case. RFE/RL's Ukrainian Service has also been reporting on the situation (in Ukrainian):

17:05 30.12.2017

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG