Accessibility links

Breaking News
A portrait of slain separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko hangs outside the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theatre on September 2.
A portrait of slain separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko hangs outside the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theatre on September 2.

Live Blog: Ukraine In Crisis (Archive)

-- EDITOR'S NOTE: We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog as of September 3, 2018. You can find it here.

-- Tens of thousands of people gathered on September 2 in the separatist stronghold of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine to mourn a top rebel leader who was recently killed in a bomb attack.

-- Prominent Ukrainian historian Mykola Shityuk has been found dead in his home city of Mykolaiv, police said on September 2.​

-- Ukraine says it has imprisoned the man it accused of being recruited by Russia’s secret services to organize a murder plot against self-exiled Russian reporter and Kremlin critic Arkady Babchenko.

-- Ukraine and Russia are trading blame for the killing of a top separatist leader in eastern Ukraine.

-- Aleksandr Zakharchenko, the head of the head of the breakaway separatist entity known as the Donetsk People’s Republic, was killed in an explosion at a cafe in Donetsk on August 31.

-- The United States is ready to widen arms supplies to Ukraine to help build up the country's naval and air defense forces in the face of continuing Russian support for eastern separatists, the U.S. special envoy for Ukraine told The Guardian.

-- The spiritual head of the worldwide Orthodox Church in Istanbul has hosted Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill for talks on Ukraine's bid to split from the Russian church, a move strongly opposed by Moscow.

*Time stamps on the blog refer to local time in Ukraine

14:00 19.1.2018

Here's an item from our news desk on Minsk's reaction to Nursultan Nazarbaev's offer to host peace talks:

Belarusian Foreign Minister Mocks Kazakh President's Offer To Host Ukraine Talks

Belarusian Foreign Minister Uladzimer Makei (file photo)
Belarusian Foreign Minister Uladzimer Makei (file photo)

The foreign minister of Belarus has mocked and criticized Kazakhstan's suggestion that Astana should host peace talks on Ukraine that were previously held in Minsk.

Belarusian Foreign Minister Uladzimer Makei said in a statement on January 19 that moving the talks to a new venue wouldn't change anything.

"The negotiations' venue is hardly relevant," Makei said. "The negotiations on Ukraine could even be moved to Antarctica if there is a certainty about their success."

Makei also said Belarus is not "seeking peacemaker's laurels unlike some others."

Meanwhile, the Kremlin said in a statement that commitment to the 2015 Minsk Accords is "more important than the venue for negotiations" on resolving Ukraine's conflict.

The statements from Minsk and Moscow came a day after Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev said peace talks on Ukraine were deadlocked and suggested his country could serve as a new venue for negotiations.

Nazarbaev said while on a visit to the United States that he discussed the conflict during a meeting with President Donald Trump, and that Trump suggested moving the talks to another location.

Minsk has hosted a series of negotiations aimed at resolving the war in in eastern Ukraine between government forces and Russia-backed separatists.

More than 10,300 people have been killed since the fighting back in April 2014.

A peace plan brokered in Minsk in 2015 by France and Germany helped to reduce hostilities.

But clashes continue and attempts to reach a political settlement have stalled.

Based on reporting by AP, Today.kz, and Interfax
13:38 19.1.2018

In today's Daily Vertical, Brian Whitmore discusses what he calls Moscow's bait-and-switch in the Donbas:

The Daily Vertical: Russia's Donbas Bait And Switch
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:01:46 0:00

13:36 19.1.2018

13:36 19.1.2018

13:35 19.1.2018

13:34 19.1.2018

13:34 19.1.2018

13:31 19.1.2018

13:31 19.1.2018

13:30 19.1.2018

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG