A shooting at a military base in Texas has left four people dead, including a gunman who died of self-inflicted wounds.
An official at Fort Hood, Lieutenant General Mark Milley, told reporters on April 2 that 16 people were also injured in the shooting rampage.
Milley said the incident lasted between 15 and 20 minutes:
"The exact sequence of events and timeline of events are not 100 percent clear," he said. "It is believed that he walked into one of the unit buildings, opened fire, got into a vehicle, fired from the vehicle, got out of the vehicle, walked into another building, and opened fire again, and then was engaged by local armed forces here at Fort Hood."
The assailant then shot himself in the head.
Milley did not give the name of the gunman, but described him as a soldier who had served in Iraq for four months in 2011.
He also said the soldier was suffering from depression and anxiety and that he was assessed to see if he had post-traumatic stress disorder.
It was not clear if the attack was premeditated and there was no indication that the incident is related to terrorism.
President Barack Obama expressed sadness over the attack and vowed to investigate it fully.
"We're heartbroken that something like this might have happened again," he said. "And I don't want to comment on the facts until I know exactly what has happened. But for now, I would just hope that everybody across the country is keeping the families and the community of Fort Hood in our thoughts and in our prayers.”
Ford Hood was the scene of a shooting in 2009 that left 13 soldiers dead and another 32 wounded.
Major Nidal Hasan was sentenced to death last year for that attack.
He said he opened fire to protect Taliban insurgents from U.S. troops who were about to deploy to Afghanistan.
With reporting by the BBC