Social Media Editors are responsible for optimally publishing our reporting in various formats, including video, on relevant social media platforms, so that it reaches new audiences, deepens loyalty, and builds trust. You will be monitoring the public debate across social media platforms and look for reporting opportunities and seek to obtain and verify UGC (User Generated Content). Distribution and engagement on social media are integral to RFE/RL’s editorial process and success, and as a full-time team member, you will be too.
You will be regularly reviewing and sharing performance metrics across platforms. We are a team that places high value on collaboration, both in our daily work and in our efforts to continually improve how we work. You should be able to carry out all functions of other editors on the team. You communicate proactively with stakeholders across various divisions and teams, including writers and editors, to ensure that published content meet expectations across platforms. You will be joining an innovative, mission-driven organization at a time rapid change. This role is an opportunity to explore the role of RFE/RL’s journalism can play in society and experiment with different ways of engaging audiences and communities. You should be keenly interested in the best practices and latest developments in digital journalism – and be keen to pursue innovative forms of storytelling and audience development across social media platforms. A commitment to our mission, journalistic impartiality and integrity is a must. Adherence to our professional standards and best practices is required. This position reports to the Senor Social Media Editor / Chief Digital Editor / Managing Editor / Service Director.
- You coordinate and the production of engaging storytelling specifically geared for social media use on relevant platforms, incl. YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, VKontakte, OK, Telegram, etc.
- You make sure that editorial standards are met on all our storytelling across platforms and that all content is thoroughly factchecked and edited before publication.
- You mine the social media for news leads, UGC (User Generated Content), and editorially relevant conversations.
- You will be regularly reviewing and proactively sharing performance metrics on relevant platforms for reviews and projects.
- You will be a looking for the latest trends in social media storytelling and platforms, and, in coordination with colleagues, experiment with new forms of storytelling and on new platforms.
- You will work with RFE/RL’s Digital Strategy team to actively share experiences of your team’s work with the entire organization and adapt accounts, processes and output to align with central guidelines and common standards.
- You will liaise with the Marketing team on advertising opportunities across social platforms and assist them in implementing marketing campaigns in line with editorial priorities.
- You will support the growth, goal setting, professional development, and performance of social media producers and reporters.
- If requested, you take on writing, editing, and production assignments.
- You perform related work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in social media,
- 3+ years of experience in digital journalism in news organization,
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL regions,
- Previous managerial experience required.
- Strong news judgment,
- Team-based work ethic,
- Understanding of digital success metrics,
- Strong social media production skills,
- Strong news writing and editing skills,
- Familiarity with tools like Tweetdeck, Crowdtangle, Socialbakers,
- Ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision under tight deadlines,
- Adapts to and works effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, and changing or easily accepting changes in one’ s own organization or job requirements,
- Broad knowledge of political, economic, and social situations and international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure,
- Familiarity with html and video editing are a plus.
- Romanian – fluent,
- Russian – fluent speaking and writing,
- English – written and spoken working knowledge.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.