Current Time https://www.currenttime.tv is a 24/7 television and digital network for Russian speakers, led by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty in cooperation with Voice of America. We are looking for a freelance Correspondent to be based in Estonia and work with our new Baltic show team based in Riga. You will initiate, prepare, produce, and deliver a wide variety of journalistic material on multiple platforms (TV, online, social media) as assigned, relevant to RFE/RL's mission, adhering to and striving to exceed RFE/RL content quality standards.
- Creates original content on a wide variety of topics and issues, from pieces to camera and short packages to features and analyses.
- Works as a field correspondent and a reporter on assignment, determining the focus of reports and segments.
- Conducts in-studio and field interviews. When able to draw on specialist knowledge, be ready to be interviewed or provide expertise as required.
- Moderates, delivers live, blogs, records, contributes, inputs online, shoots video and photos as required, coordinates sound and camera crews as necessary.
- Produces live or recorded content, as appropriate, using available equipment, operates relevant tools and computer equipment, and/or directs specialists or other involved staff if assigned.
- Reacts to breaking-news developments and is ready to report live with both scripted and ad libitum commentary or produce recorded pieces on short notice. Ready to work on weekends and outside hours if required by breaking-news developments.
- Maintains up-to-date familiarity with political, economic, and social developments in and related to the broader Baltic region. Briefs himself/herself on latest news and issues prior to starting workday.
- Researches material and, exercising editorial judgment, selects reliable information from a varied range of reputable sources.
- Keeps deadlines and strives to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for the quality of the output.
- Adheres to RFE/RL's editorial standards at all times and takes editorial responsibility for all own material.
- Actively participates in program feedback sessions.
- Is expected to regularly suggest viable coverage ideas and to contribute to program planning.
- Explores innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance for the audience and to serve as an example for best practice journalism.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- University degree in journalism or related field or an equivalent in experience.
• Experience as a journalist, 5-8 years, mandatory.
• Good familiarity with political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as with regional and international affairs.
- Has an understanding or RFE/RL mission and broadcast area targets.
- Understands the target broadcast region's cultural and linguistic sensitivities.
- Intermediate level of English. Reliably translates current affairs texts from English into native language.
- Possesses comprehensive content creation skills and requires minimal editing and editorial supervision. Has developed a network of original sources and cultivated one or more specific beats, in addition to being capable of all-round reporting and writing.
- Sound editorial judgment. Ability to edit work of others and to take responsibility for an output segment.
- Proven abilities in multiple platforms and media, good knowledge of other media and platforms.
- Seeks opportunities for professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and in training.
- Ability to provide basic coaching to junior staff when required.
- Able to effectively use all RFE/RL content management system options - capable of posting and editing text and photos, making photo galleries, posting videos, program scheduling.
- Contributes to maintaining a positive working environment. Proactively provides support within and outside own team.
- Willingness and ability to learn and to work with audio and video equipment, data research tools and new technologies and media platforms as well as to acquire or enhance the knowledge of journalistic practices relevant to assignments.
- Russian, proficient level, mandatory.
- Latvian or Lithuanian or Estonian, proficient level, mandatory
- English, intermediate level, mandatory.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.