RFE/RL's Tajik service announces a selection process for a Journalist to join our team in Dushanbe bureau.
RFE/RL Journalists initiate, prepare, produce, and deliver wide variety of journalistic material on multiple platforms (Radio, TV, online, social media, printed…) as assigned, relevant to the target audience and to RFE/RL mission, adhering to and striving to exceed RFE/RL content quality standards. RFE/RL journalistic jobs are versatile and cover wide range of tasks and activities. Employees may need to acquire knowledge of and focus on different areas for their assignments or projects while in the same job and while being flexible in terms of time and location. Versatility and ability to flexibly respond to challenges of the fast changing world while maintaining the integrity and recognized quality of RFE/RL journalism are key to success for both RFE/RL and its employees.
- Creates content on a wide variety of topics and issues, from bulletins and dispatches to features for relevant platforms. Adapts content as necessary. Translates according to the language proficiency.
- Works as field correspondent and reporter on assignment.
- Conducts interviews in the studio, by telephone, or in the field
- Moderates, delivers live, blogs, records, contributes, inputs online, shots photos and video as required.
- Produces live, recorded, online, printed, etc. content, as appropriate, using the available techniques, operates relevant technologies, tools and computer equipment.
- Maintains up–to–date familiarity with political, economic, and social developments in and related to the target area. Briefs himself/herself on latest news and issues prior to starting work day.
- Researches material and, exercising editorial judgment, selects reliable information from a varied range of reputable sources.
- Keeps deadlines and strives to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for the quality of the output.
- Adheres to RFE/RL editorial standards at all times and takes editorial responsibility for all own material.
- Actively participates in program feedback sessions.
- Is expected to regularly suggest viable coverage ideas and to contribute to program planning.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Combination of education and experience
- Journalism or related field BA - Bachelor degree (Mandatory)
- Experience as a journalist. 3-4 years (Mandatory)
- Good familiarity with political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as with regional and international affairs.
- Ability to handle at least one selected platform or media, general awareness of other media and platforms. Ability to work with audio and video equipment, word processing tools, information research tools and new technologies and media platforms.
- Able to reliably develop and deliver quality content according to RFE/RL standards and best practices. Able to pitch original ideas, cultivate original sources, conduct interviews, write news and features, with light editing and editorial supervision.
- Able to work with RFE/RL content management system - capable of posting and editing text and photos, webifying content, and Program Scheduling.
- Good editorial judgment exercised in own work. Occasionally needs editorial supervision.
- Has an understanding or RFE/RL mission and broadcast area targets.
- Seeks opportunities for development and training, and assumes responsibility for learning.
- Supportive team player.
- Working knowledge of English. Able to use English current affairs resources daily and to use the information for work - with editorial supervision and assistance.
- Russian language (Native level), mandatory
- Tajik language (Native level), mandatory
- English language (Proficient), desired
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.