We are seeking for highly skilled Senior Control Room Operator. In this position you will be responsible for the smooth operation of various technology throughout the TV studio and control room, including the video switcher, audio console, cameras, lighting, graphics etc. In addition to their role as a studio operator, the senior operator acts as a shift leader adjusting studio schedules and assigning staff to cover unscheduled broadcasts and recordings. The senior operator ensures workflows in the control room are followed. The position involves shift work, including weekends, evenings, nights, public holidays and on-call to support a 24-hour broadcast schedule.
- Performs various duties in the Control Room; acts as director, switcher operator or audio operator in the TV studio control room. Operates cameras in the TV studio.
- Acts as shift leader when on-duty.
- Prepares the daily schedules and assigns duties to the studio technicians in coordination with the Supervisor for Studio Operations, and the Manager of Prague Operations.
- Designs and prepares profiles for the switcher and audio boards for new or special programming.
- Trains new coworkers and newly assigned RFE/RL members.
- Ensures remote inputs, troubleshoots quality related problems.
- Ensures the workflow in TV control rooms.
- Documents and reports on irregularities and technical problems occurring during studio operations.
- Specialized education in audio-visual arts.
- Specialized training in the operation of television broadcast audio equipment.
- At least 5 years experience working in a live broadcast environment.
- Ability to communicate with people effectively and work within a team.
- Ability to remain calm and act efficiently under pressure.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to learn new complex subjects quickly including new technologies, equipment and workflows.
- Ability to work independently and to also accept supervision.
- Basic administrative skills (e.g. complete forms and reports).
- Ability to quickly anticipate, trouble-shoot and resolve technical and operational problems.
- Ability to perform the physical duties of the job; must have ability to lift and move equipment up to 25 lbs. (12 kgs.).
- Ability to operate video, audio and lighting equipment for live or studio/remote location shoots.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with external and internal clients, colleagues, and supervisors.
- Understanding of RFE/RL regional cultures, news and current affairs.
- Knowledge of television production requirements and television production processes.
- Knowledge of broadcast industry technology and trends.
- English language (working knowledge), mandatory.
- Broadcast region language (Working Knowledge Oral+Written).
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.