Hosseini at a press conference earlier this year (Fars)
May 31, 2007 -- Iran today again insisted it will not agree to the key demand of Western powers about its controversial nuclear program.
Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini says Tehran will not suspend uranium enrichment, a process the West fears could be used to make nuclear weapons. Iran says the program is only for the peaceful production of nuclear power.
Hosseini's remarks come just hours before talks in Madrid today between Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana. The standoff already has resulted in UN sanctions against Iran.
Foreign ministers of the Group of Eight leading industrialized nations -- meeting in Germany on May 30 -- expressed "deep regret" that Iran had continued to expand enrichment activities. They suggested more sanctions could be imposed.