Germany's national disease control center says the number of people falling sick as a result of E. coli contamination has slowed to a trickle.
The Robert Koch Institute said on June 14 that a total of 3,235 people in Germany had been reported ill, only seven more than the previous day.
Germany's health minister has cautioned that even though the outbreak is waning further deaths are possible.
The local council in the northern town of Celle said a 2-year-old boy died overnight.
German authorities have narrowed the source of the outbreak to vegetable sprouts from a farm in the north of the country.
Thirty-six people in Germany and one in Sweden have now died in what has been the deadliest outbreak of E. coli ever.
The crisis has devastated farmers across Europe as frightened consumers shunned vegetables after German authorities initially advised people against eating cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce.
The European Union has approved a $306 million compensation package for fruit and vegetable farmers affected by the outbreak.
compiled from agency reports