North Korea has said it wants to see nuclear disarmament talks resume soon and "without preconditions."
The Foreign Ministry statement came after a senior North Korean diplomat visited New York last week for talks with U.S. officials.
The six-party talks involve North and South Korea, China, Russia, Japan, and the United States.
North Korea pulled out of the talks in April 2009, a month before it carried out its second nuclear test.
The Foreign Ministry said on August 1 that the government was ready to fulfill its commitments under an agreement it signed in 2005 to end its nuclear program in return for economic aid.
compiled from agency reports