The News and Feature Writer reports and creates original news-focused and feature content, primarily for digital platforms, under the supervision of an editor. Active pitching of original angles and story ideas, excellent story-telling and interviewing skills, and an ability to work closely with an editor at all times is required. Experience in field reporting and a demonstrated ability to quickly switch gears between breaking news reporting and longer feature assignments is a must. Proven experience reporting and planning not just text stories, but also visual and audio content is a strong plus as is experience working on social media platforms. Specialty knowledge and a demonstrated portfolio of sources in one or more of target subjects (i.e. education, politics, international affairs, the environment, health care) is required. Excellent writing ability, speed, accuracy, fact-checking and investigative experience as well as strong story-telling skills are essential. Versatility, an ability to flexibly respond to the challenges of a fast-changing world and a willingness to continually learn new skills while maintaining the integrity and recognized quality of RFE/RL journalism are key to success for both RFE/RL and its employees. This position reports to the News Editor/ Managing Editor / Service Director.
- Under the supervision and guidance of an editor, pitches, reports, and prepares original news and feature content, primarily for web and social media platforms, as well as television and audio platforms, as assigned.
- Having a keen eye for what makes a good journalistic story, uses his/her excellent interviewing and story-telling skills in his/her daily work and takes part in conducting journalistic investigations, alone or as part of a team.
- Creates content for web and social media platforms and learns new skills as these platforms constantly evolve.
- Works closely and collaboratively with his/her assigned supervisory editor(s) at each stage of story development, from inception to the final product.
- Works both as a field correspondent and from the bureau, either individually or as part of a team, on short-term news assignments and longer-term features.
- Cultivates at least one specialty beat and maintain and develop his/her own original sources.
- Works quickly, accurately, and collaboratively under deadline pressure.
- Always adheres to RFE/RL editorial standards.
- Contributes to maintaining a positive working environment. Proactively provides support within and outside his/her own team.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Combination of education and experience,
- Journalism or related field – bachelor degree.
- Experience as a journalist, minimum 5 years,
- Strong reporting and editing background,
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the operating area as well as international affairs,
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment is preferred.
- Understanding of what makes a good journalistic story,
- Excellent interviewing and story-telling skills,
- Knowledge of at least one specialty beat,
- Experience in conducting journalistic investigations, i.e. in deeply investigating a single topic of interest, such as serious crimes, political corruption, or corporate wrongdoing, alone or as part of a team,
- Experience in creating content for web and social media platforms,
- Willingness to continuously learn new skills for social media platforms,
- Digital journalism skills, such as editing audio and video, posting video and live streaming on social media platforms, search engine optimization, content boosting, and other modern digital journalism techniques,
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly, accurately, and collaboratively under deadline pressure,
- Understanding RFE/RL mission and broadcast target area.
- Romanian – fluent,
- Russian – proficient,
- English – written and spoken working knowledge.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.