EU prolongs Russia sanctions until March 2019:
By RFE/RL
BRUSSELS -- The European Union has extended by another six months visa bans and asset freeze against 155 Russian and Ukrainian individuals, as well as 44 companies, for undermining or threatening the independence of Ukraine.
"An assessment of the situation did not justify a change in the sanctions regime," The EU council said in a statement issued on September 13.
The list of sanctioned individuals includes the Donetsk separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko who was killed in an explosion in the eastern city on August 31.
It also includes a deceased member of the Russian Duma, Iosif Kobzon.
EU sources told RFE/RL that both were likely to be de-listed at a later stage but that the bloc wanted to ensure that their potential assets held in the EU aren't passed over to someone else when they are removed from the list.
The sanctions were first imposed in March 2014 over Russia's actions in eastern Ukraine and its seizure and illegal annexation of Ukraine's Crimea Peninsula. They have been renewed every six months since then. They have been now extended until March 15.
Russia's actions in eastern Ukraine and its support for separatists in a conflict that has killed more than 10,300 people since April 2014, has heightened tensions with the West. (w/Reuters)
U.S. condemns separatist plan for "elections":
By RFE/RL
The United States has joined the European Union in condemning plans by Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine to hold "elections," calling them "phony procedures" that undermine peace efforts in the region.
"The United States condemns the announcement of a plan to conduct 'elections' in the so-called 'Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics,'" State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement on September 12.
"Given the continued control of these territories by the Russian Federation, genuine elections are inconceivable, and grossly contravene Russia's commitments under the Minsk agreements," she added, referring to September 2014 and February 2015 pacts aimed at resolving the conflict.
She said that by "engineering phony procedures," Moscow was exhibiting "its disregard for international norms and is undermining efforts to achieve peace in eastern Ukraine."
On September 8, EU foreign-policy chief Federica Mogherini also criticized the plan and called on Moscow to use its influence to stop the planned November 11 vote from taking place.
Ukraine's Foreign Ministry also decried the announcement by the separatist officials in the Donbas region.
"If fake 'early elections' are conducted, their outcome will be legally void, they will not create any legal consequences, and will not be recognized by Ukraine or the global community," the ministry said in a statement on September 7.
The separatists have vowed to hold elections to choose the region's parliament and a new leader.
Donetsk separatist leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko was assassinated by a bomb blast in a city cafe on August 31. Denis Pushilin, the chairman of the "people's council" was selected as the acting head until the November 11 vote to select a new leader.
More than 10,300 people have been killed in fighting in eastern Ukraine since April 2014 in the conflict, which erupted as Russia fomented separatism after Moscow-friendly President Viktor Yanukovych was pushed from power by huge pro-European protests in Kyiv.
Russia's actions in eastern Ukraine and its seizure and annexation of Ukraine's Crimea Peninsula led the United States and EU to impose sanctions against Moscow and has heightened tensions between Russia and the West.