Accessibility links

Breaking News
Moscow Court Upholds Extending Pretrial Detention Of Ukrainian Sailors
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:00:56 0:00

WATCH: Moscow Court Upholds Extending Pretrial Detention Of Ukrainian Sailors

Live Blog: A New Government In Ukraine (Archive Sept. 3, 2018-Aug. 16, 2019)

-- EDITOR'S NOTE: We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog as of August 17, 2019. You can find it here.

-- A court in Moscow has upheld a lower court's decision to extend pretrial detention for six of the 24 Ukrainian sailors detained by Russian forces along with their three naval vessels in November near the Kerch Strait, which links the Black Sea and Sea of Azov.

-- The U.S. special peace envoy to Ukraine, Kurt Volker, says Russian propaganda is making it a challenge to solve the conflict in the east of the country.

-- Two more executives of DTEK, Ukraine's largest private power and coal producer, have been charged in a criminal case on August 14 involving an alleged conspiracy to fix electricity prices with the state energy regulator, Interfax reported.

-- A Ukrainian deputy minister and his aide have been detained after allegedly taking a bribe worth $480,000, the National Anti-Corruption Bureau said on Facebook.

*Time stamps on the blog refer to local time in Ukraine

15:02 5.10.2018

Video from the front-line (with an odd choice of soundtrack):

14:48 5.10.2018

14:47 5.10.2018

14:37 5.10.2018

14:01 5.10.2018

13:48 5.10.2018

12:36 5.10.2018

12:33 5.10.2018

12:30 5.10.2018

10:16 5.10.2018
This combo photo shows Ukrainian film director Oleh Sentsov in a Russian courtroom in July 2015 and in a photo released on September 29 while undergoing a medical checkup.
This combo photo shows Ukrainian film director Oleh Sentsov in a Russian courtroom in July 2015 and in a photo released on September 29 while undergoing a medical checkup.

Ukraine's Sentsov Reportedly Ends Hunger Strike After Nearly Five Months

Ukrainian film director Oleh Sentsov, who was jailed in Russia on terrorism charges, has stopped his nearly five-month hunger strike, the deputy director of the Russian Penitentiary System (FSIN) said.

Valery Maksimenko said on October 5 that Sentsov agreed to start eating and that "Moscow diet experts have prepared a special diet for him to help him gradually start full-fledged food consumption."

Sentsov, a Crimean native who opposed Russia's 2014 takeover of the Ukrainian peninsula, is serving a 20-year prison term after being convicted of terrorism in a trial that he, human rights groups, and Western governments contend was politically motivated.

Imprisoned in the Far Northern Yamalo-Nenets region of Russia, Sentsov started a hunger strike on May 14, demanding that Russia release 64 fellow Ukrainians he considers political prisoners.

Sentsov has refused to seek a pardon from Russian President Vladimir Putin, maintaining his innocence.

Human Rights Watch, citing a lawyer for Sentsov, said last month that he agreed to begin taking an oral nutritional supplement at some point in the past two months, after suffering his first health crisis.

Diplomats, as well as film celebrities such as director Jean-Luc Godard and actor Johnny Depp, have all called for Sentsov's release.

During last month's Venice film festival, Hollywood stars urged Moscow not to let him die, and leading figures in the Russian film industry have also called for his release.

Based on reporting by TASS and Interfax

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG