Accessibility links

Breaking News
Moscow Court Upholds Extending Pretrial Detention Of Ukrainian Sailors
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:00:56 0:00

WATCH: Moscow Court Upholds Extending Pretrial Detention Of Ukrainian Sailors

Live Blog: A New Government In Ukraine (Archive Sept. 3, 2018-Aug. 16, 2019)

-- EDITOR'S NOTE: We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog as of August 17, 2019. You can find it here.

-- A court in Moscow has upheld a lower court's decision to extend pretrial detention for six of the 24 Ukrainian sailors detained by Russian forces along with their three naval vessels in November near the Kerch Strait, which links the Black Sea and Sea of Azov.

-- The U.S. special peace envoy to Ukraine, Kurt Volker, says Russian propaganda is making it a challenge to solve the conflict in the east of the country.

-- Two more executives of DTEK, Ukraine's largest private power and coal producer, have been charged in a criminal case on August 14 involving an alleged conspiracy to fix electricity prices with the state energy regulator, Interfax reported.

-- A Ukrainian deputy minister and his aide have been detained after allegedly taking a bribe worth $480,000, the National Anti-Corruption Bureau said on Facebook.

*Time stamps on the blog refer to local time in Ukraine

16:43 4.3.2019

16:25 4.3.2019

15:11 4.3.2019

EU extends asset freeze on Yanukovych, 11 others:

By RFE/RL

The European Union has extended asset freezes on former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych and 11 other Ukrainians suspected of embezzling state funds.

The EU imposed asset freezes against Yanukovych and his inner circle shortly after the collapse of his government in late February 2014.

The bloc accused Yanukovych and his collaborators of misappropriation of state funds. Apart from the former president, the restrictive measures still include his son, Oleksandr, and former Prime Ministers Mykola Azarov and Serhiy Arbuzov.

The asset freezes will be extended until March 6, 2020. The ruling will come into force on March 5 when the notice is published in the EU's Official Journal.

Andriy Klyuyev, the former head of Yanukovych's presidential administration, was excluded from the sanctions list due to a ruling by the EU's general court last summer that said that the bloc's restrictive measures against Klyuyev for 2017-18 should be annulled.

In the July ruling, the court concluded that since Klyuyev informed the European Council that Ukrainian criminal proceedings against him had been suspended before the renewal of the bloc's restrictive measures, the council should have sought clarification on the issue from the Ukrainian authorities.

Several diplomats from EU member states who are familiar with the talks but not authorized to speak on the record told RFE/RL last month that the lack of compelling evidence from Ukraine had forced the EU to consider removing Klyuyev from the list.

Andriy's brother, Serhiy Klyuyev, was removed from the same sanctions list last year. Serhiy, who was a businessman and lawmaker from Yanukovych's Party of Regions, was the nominal owner of Mezhyhirya, the lavish Yanukovych residence outside Kyiv that is now a museum. (w/dpa)

14:32 4.3.2019

14:31 4.3.2019

14:25 4.3.2019

14:24 4.3.2019

12:48 4.3.2019

From RFE/RL's news desk:

Poroshenko Fires Close Ally Amid Smuggling Scandal

Oleh Hladkovskyy (file photo)
Oleh Hladkovskyy (file photo)

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has fired a close ally, Oleh Hladkovskyy, from the post of first deputy chairman of the National Security and Defense Council amid allegations that Hladkovskyy's son was involved in smuggling spare parts of military equipment from Russia.

Poroshenko wrote on Twitter on March 4 that Hladkovskyy was also fired from the post of the chief of the interministerial commission for policies on military and technical cooperation and export control.

Poroshenko's move comes a week after media outlet Bihus.Info's program Nashi Hroshi (Our Money) alleged that Hladkovskyy's son, Ihor, organized a ring to smuggle spare military-equipment parts from Russia in 2015, a year after Moscow seized Ukraine's Crimea region and threw its support behind militant pro-Russia separatists in the eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk.

The report alleged that state defense facilities purchased the smuggled spare parts from private companies linked to Ihor Hladkovskyy and his friends at highly inflated prices.

It claimed that Ukroboronprom, the state concern that supervises defense industry production facilities, knew the origin of the smuggled parts but agreed to buy them.

The report also alleged that Ihor Hladkovskyy and his two associates illegally earned at least 250 million hryvnyas ($9.2 million) by smuggling the items from Russia through three major private firms, one of which belonged to Poroshenko at the time.

Poroshenko, a pro-Western tycoon who came to power after Moscow-friendly President Viktor Yanukovych fled to Russia in early 2014, is trying to overcome a steep drop in public support in order to win reelection in the upcoming March 31 presidential poll.

A day after the investigative report was broadcast on YouTube on February 25, Poroshenko suspended Oleh Hladkovskyy from his post and two days later announced that a probe has been launched into the allegations.

The election comes amid persistent economic challenges in the country and an ongoing war in eastern Ukraine against Russia-backed separatists.

12:36 4.3.2019

Here is today's map of the latest situation in the Donbas conflict zone according to the Ukrainian Defense Ministry. (CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.)

12:21 4.3.2019

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG