Accessibility links

Breaking News
Moscow Court Upholds Extending Pretrial Detention Of Ukrainian Sailors
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:00:56 0:00

WATCH: Moscow Court Upholds Extending Pretrial Detention Of Ukrainian Sailors

Live Blog: A New Government In Ukraine (Archive Sept. 3, 2018-Aug. 16, 2019)

-- EDITOR'S NOTE: We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog as of August 17, 2019. You can find it here.

-- A court in Moscow has upheld a lower court's decision to extend pretrial detention for six of the 24 Ukrainian sailors detained by Russian forces along with their three naval vessels in November near the Kerch Strait, which links the Black Sea and Sea of Azov.

-- The U.S. special peace envoy to Ukraine, Kurt Volker, says Russian propaganda is making it a challenge to solve the conflict in the east of the country.

-- Two more executives of DTEK, Ukraine's largest private power and coal producer, have been charged in a criminal case on August 14 involving an alleged conspiracy to fix electricity prices with the state energy regulator, Interfax reported.

-- A Ukrainian deputy minister and his aide have been detained after allegedly taking a bribe worth $480,000, the National Anti-Corruption Bureau said on Facebook.

*Time stamps on the blog refer to local time in Ukraine

15:01 22.3.2019

15:00 22.3.2019

It would be interesting to find out what they're doing now...

14:59 22.3.2019

14:58 22.3.2019

14:56 22.3.2019

14:47 22.3.2019

Here's a new item from our news desk:

Kyiv Says Ukrainian Soldier Killed In Conflict In East

A new cease-fire agreement was reached on March 8, but both sides have accused each other of repeated violations since then. (file photo)
A new cease-fire agreement was reached on March 8, but both sides have accused each other of repeated violations since then. (file photo)

Ukraine says one of its soldiers has been killed and two wounded as a result of clashes with Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.

The Defense Ministry said on March 22 that separatist fighters fired machine guns, mortars, and grenade launchers, violating a cease-fire seven times during the previous 24 hours.

Meanwhile, separatists in the Donetsk region also accused Ukrainian government forces of violating the cease-fire seven times in the same period.

Since April 2014, some 13,000 people have been killed in fighting between Kyiv's forces and the Russia-backed separatists who control parts of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

Cease-fire deals announced as part of the Minsk accords -- September 2014 and February 2015 pacts aimed at resolving the conflict -- have contributed to a decrease in fighting but have failed to hold.

A new cease-fire agreement was reached on March 8, but both sides have accused each other of repeated violations since then.

With reporting by TASS
14:01 22.3.2019

14:01 22.3.2019

14:00 22.3.2019

13:53 22.3.2019

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG