Accessibility links

Breaking News
Moscow Court Upholds Extending Pretrial Detention Of Ukrainian Sailors
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:00:56 0:00

WATCH: Moscow Court Upholds Extending Pretrial Detention Of Ukrainian Sailors

Live Blog: A New Government In Ukraine (Archive Sept. 3, 2018-Aug. 16, 2019)

-- EDITOR'S NOTE: We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog as of August 17, 2019. You can find it here.

-- A court in Moscow has upheld a lower court's decision to extend pretrial detention for six of the 24 Ukrainian sailors detained by Russian forces along with their three naval vessels in November near the Kerch Strait, which links the Black Sea and Sea of Azov.

-- The U.S. special peace envoy to Ukraine, Kurt Volker, says Russian propaganda is making it a challenge to solve the conflict in the east of the country.

-- Two more executives of DTEK, Ukraine's largest private power and coal producer, have been charged in a criminal case on August 14 involving an alleged conspiracy to fix electricity prices with the state energy regulator, Interfax reported.

-- A Ukrainian deputy minister and his aide have been detained after allegedly taking a bribe worth $480,000, the National Anti-Corruption Bureau said on Facebook.

*Time stamps on the blog refer to local time in Ukraine

20:24 30.1.2019

20:48 30.1.2019

Hmm...

21:32 30.1.2019

Here's an item from our news desk:

EU Again Urges Moscow To Release Ukrainian Sailors

Russia captured 24 Ukrainian sailors along with three naval vessels last year. They have been held in custody ever since. (file photo)
Russia captured 24 Ukrainian sailors along with three naval vessels last year. They have been held in custody ever since. (file photo)

The European Union has again called on Russia to immediately and unconditionally release the 24 Ukrainian Navy sailors seized along with their three naval vessels last year near the Kerch Strait, which links the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov.

The message was delivered on January 30 by EU envoy to Moscow Markus Ederer to Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Aleksandr Grushko, according to spokeswoman for the EU foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini.

"The Ambassador reiterated the EU’s well-known position as regards the continued illegal detention of Ukrainian servicemen by Russia, as elaborated in the Declaration by the High Representative on behalf of the EU, as well as several public statements, including on 17 January," Maja Kocijancic said in a statement.

Russia Charges Captured Ukrainian Sailors
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:02:08 0:00


The Ukrainian servicemen have been held since 25 November 2018, when Russia seized three Ukrainian vessels and their crews and fired shots at them, wounding several Ukrainian sailors near the Kerch Strait.

"The European Union expects Russia to ensure unhindered and free passage through the Kerch Strait to and from the Azov Sea, in accordance with international law," the statement said, adding that Russia's use of force was "unacceptable."

"We expect Russia to immediately and unconditionally release the 24 captured Ukrainian sailors, to respect their right to legal representation and unhindered access by consular authorities, and to ensure that the injured crewmen receive appropriate medical treatment," it said.

22:13 30.1.2019

22:16 30.1.2019

22:18 30.1.2019

22:18 30.1.2019

22:20 30.1.2019

The tweet links to a story by RFE/RL's Ukrainian Service:

22:21 30.1.2019

ICYMI:

22:24 30.1.2019

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG