Reporting to the Chief Digital Editor, the Social Media Editor is responsible for coordinating, editing, and generally managing RFE/RL’s Language Service social media presence and engagement with audiences across these platforms. The incumbent plays a lead role in new media and digital initiatives and identifies content for enhanced outside promotion.
The Social Media Editor will be part of the Central Asia Migrant Media project which focus on telling the stories of migrants from Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Kazakhstan with a focus on stories related to migration.
- Coordinates and produces the engaging storytelling specifically geared for social media use on relevant platforms, incl. YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, VKontakte, OK, Telegram, etc.
- Makes sure that editorial standards are met on all our storytelling across platforms and that all content is thoroughly factchecked and edited before publication.
- Mines the social media for news leads, UGC (User Generated Content), and editorially relevant conversations.
- Regularly reviews and proactively shares performance metrics on relevant platforms for reviews and projects.
- Looks for the latest trends in social media storytelling and platforms, and, in coordination with colleagues, experiments with new forms of storytelling and on new platforms.
- Works with RFE/RL’s Digital Strategy team to actively share experiences of the team’s work with the entire organization and adapts accounts, processes and output to align with central guidelines and common standards.
- Liaises with the Marketing team on advertising opportunities across social platforms and assists them in implementing marketing campaigns in line with editorial priorities.
- Supports the growth, goal setting, professional development, and performance of social media producers and reporters.
- If requested, takes on writing, editing, and production assignments.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in social media
- 5+ years of experience in digital journalism in news organization
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL regions.
- Previous managerial experience required.
- Strong news judgment
- Team-based work ethic
- Understanding of digital success metrics
- Strong social media production skills
- Strong news writing and editing skills
- Strong knowledge of stories related to Central Asian migrants,
- Familiarity with tools like Tweetdeck, Crowdtangle, Socialbakers
- Ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision under tight deadlines.
- Adapts to and works effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, and changing or easily accepting changes in one’ s own organization or job requirements.
- Broad knowledge of political, economic, and social situations and international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure.
- Familiarity with html and video editing are a plus.
- Uzbek - fluent
- Russian - fluent
- English – working knowledge, desirable
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.