Digital broadcasters are responsible for creating original news-focused and feature audio content for digital and other platforms, so that it reaches new audiences, deepens loyalty, and builds trust. Under the supervision of an editor, you will work with a team of other digital broadcasters, sound designers, news & feature writers as well as digital and social media editors to moderate, produce and disseminate audio podcasts and radio shows. You will use the power of sound and human voice to distill complex topics (e.g. economics and corruption) into user friendly, compelling, engaging, and interesting story presentations. We are a team that places high value on collaboration, both in our daily work and in our efforts to continually improve how we work. You should be able to carry out all functions of other editors on the team. You communicate proactively with stakeholders across various divisions and teams, to ensure that audio content meet expectations across platforms. You will be joining an innovative, mission-driven organization at a time rapid change. This role is an opportunity to explore the role of RFE/RL’s journalism can play in society and experiment with different ways of engaging audiences and communities. You should be keenly interested in the best practices and latest developments in audio storytelling and podcasting – and be keen to pursue innovative forms of storytelling. A commitment to our mission, journalistic impartiality and integrity is a must. Adherence to our professional standards and best practices is required. This position reports to the Digital Broadcast Editor / Managing Editor / Service Director.
- You will be doing active pitching of original angles and story ideas to prepare audio content, including podcasts and radio shows, as assigned.
- Having a keen eye for what makes a good journalistic story, you will use excellent interviewing and story-telling skills to distill complex topics into user friendly, compelling, engaging, and interesting audio story presentations.
- Working closely and collaboratively with your assigned supervisory editor(s) at each stage of podcast/radio show, from inception to the final product, you will be a looking for the latest trends in audio production and platforms and, in coordination with colleagues, experiment with new forms of storytelling and on new platforms.
- You will be working both as a field correspondent and from the bureau, either individually or as part of a team, as assigned.
- If requested, you take on writing, editing, and production assignments.
- You will be cultivating at least one specialty beat and maintain and develop own original sources, as you work quickly, accurately, and collaboratively under deadline pressure.
- You contribute to maintaining a positive working environment, proactively provide support within and outside own team, always adhering to RFE/RL editorial standards.
- You perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field, or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- 3+ years of journalistic experience,
- 3+ years of experience in digital audio journalism in news organization,
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL regions.
- Strong news judgment,
- Team-based work ethic,
- Excellent interviewing and story-telling skills,
- Knowledge of at least one specialty beat,
- Experience in producing audio and radio content, alone or as part of a team,
- Willingness to continuously learn new skills for digital platforms,
- Familiarity with audio editing software such as Adobe Audition, Audacity, DAVID,
- Ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision under tight deadlines,
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the operating area as well as international affairs,
- Understanding of RFE/RL mission and broadcast target area.
- Romanian – fluent,
- Russian – proficient,
- English – written and spoken working knowledge.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.