We are looking to recruit a Head of Office who will act as the legal representative of RFE/RL in Latvia. Reporting to an assigned Regional Director, you will take management responsibility for the operations of RFE/RL’s office within the allocated budget and in line with RFE/RL strategy for the teams working from the office. You will actively represent RFE/RL in the community and build awareness of, and identification with, RFE/RL’s mission. You will also ensure rapid compliance with all corporate directives related to security, strategy, contingency plans, and new tools and workflows.
- Acts as the legal representative of RFE/RL in Latvia.
- Manages the day-to-day business and financial operations of the office in accordance with applicable legislation. Oversees administrative staff working in the office.
- Makes sure that all RFE/RL teams working from the office have the necessary support to successfully work from the office.
- Takes the lead in creating a supportive environment, encouraging initiative, participation, and open communication among the RFE/RL teams working from the office.
- Communicates with office personnel promptly and accurately on all corporate initiatives.
- Consults and coordinates with the Bureau Accountant to ensure continuous mutual support.
- Ensures that all office personnel comply with IT and personnel security protocols. Drafts and prepares to execute security-related contingency planning in conjunction with Security.
- Reports and responds to all the relevant departments in Prague, such as Administration, Central Property Office, Human Resources, Operations, Corporate Strategy, and others, in a timely and suitable manner.
- Acts as an ambassador for RFE/RL in the local political and media environment to enhance RFE/RL's good reputation and standing. Maintains constructive professional relationships with other media organizations, NGOs, and relevant local and national officials. Monitors and reports references to RFE/RL in the local media.
- Stays abreast of relevant local legislation and ensures that the office meets all local and national financial obligations, properly procures goods and services, and remains in good standing with all suppliers.
- Negotiates leases and liaises with the landlord(s) and local service contracts and coordinates closely with Regional Finance Office and Legal Dept. in regard to contracts and services.
Master’s degree in international relations or related field.
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in Latvia as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure, 10+ years (Mandatory)
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment or experience living and working abroad. (Mandatory)
- Team management experience, 5-8 years (Mandatory)
- Organization and planning skills at a managerial level.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team, and to motivate others towards the achievement of common goals, while managing limited resources in an efficient manner.
- Strategic planning.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to journalist integrity and objectivity.
- Strong ability to establish contacts, network and foster key relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict, and to work with and through others in a collaborative fashion.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Dependability, accuracy, attention to detail & ability to work under pressure.
- Interpersonal and communication skills, including discretion.
- Ability to work in a team.
- End-user knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Presentation skills.
- Latvian language at proficiency level, mandatory
- English language at proficiency level, mandatory
- Russian language, desirable
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.