We are looking for a Bureau Systems Administrator in RFE/RL Bureau in Almaty, Kazachstan. Reporting to IT Bureau Manager in Prague and coordinating IT activities with the Bureau Chief/Service Director, he/she supervises a variety of tasks associated with maintenance of the bureau IT technology, network and multimedia equipment, including its day-to-day maintenance, troubleshooting, upgrades, user support, servers and multimedia data backups. He/She would work with other Division of Information Technology members.
- Provides full IT support to the Language Service, and other RFE/RL news department present in the given country, and is familiar with their content. The support may include overtime, late shift work, broadcast tech. support, and discussing/agreeing on dialy priorities between News and Technology, as well as coordinating on potential security risks.
- Treats the Bureau Chief and staff as their primary customer, discusses priorities with them, and ensures they receive the highest level of support possible within the constrains of available budget and technical standards.
- Supervises the daily activities of the Bureau IT systems and ensures their accomplishing in a timely, professional and efficient manner
- Oversees installing, testing, operating and maintaining new hardware and software in the Bureau, supports desktop computers, NLE’s (Non-Linear Editors) such as digital audio & video workstations, laptop computers, printers, monitors and other general peripherals
- Deploying, integrating, maintaining, and securing windows, Macintosh, Cisco switches, routers wireless controllers and media players; deploying software and managing PCs policies
- Superintends local User Support/Help Desk functions and the training to the Bureau staff
- Makes sure the Prague TOC (Technical Operations Center) is informed of the operational status of the bureau on a regular basis, reports technical deficiencies and problems in a timely manner, and suggests the speediest and most cost-effective solutions.
- Assists in developing and ensuring successful implementation and compliance with Standard Operating Procedures and all safety regulations, and uses Industry Best Practices when performing duties and tasks assigned.
- Cooperates closely with the Bureau Administrator and Prague-based supervisor in terms of issuing requisitions for technology and multimedia equipment and ongoing technical operations maintenance.
- Contributes to creating and maintaining a positive work environment.
- Adheres to and complies with all technology standards, policies, and regulations as outlined by Technical Management in Prague. In addition, complies with local regulations and codes concerning workplace safety and technical/electrical installations.
- Performs other related duties, incl. supporting and operating any other technology used in the bureau, as assigned.(internet, ups, etc.)
- Maintains awareness of the local broadcast sound environment
- Gives support, as required, with the introduction and installation of new software and technology in the bureau
- Strengthens familiarity with new radio editing equipment and audio and video editing software such as Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Adobe Audition, etc.
- Provides basic training to journalists in equipment use and computer and software use, as required
- Records and responds to requests for help and provides technical solutions to desktop computer users.
- Preferably university degree in a relevant technology area;
- Certification of formal education and/or proof of equivalent professional experience.
- Speaking, reading, and writing ability in English in addition to a broadcast language, Russian language ability when relevant;
- Three years minimum required in a similar technical position;
- Knowledge and experience managing and supporting Active Directory, Office 365, Server 2012, and Microsoft Office
- Experience with multiple operating systems, including Windows 7/10, IOS, and Android
- Must possess complete technical comprehension of server and desktop operating systems, network architectures and protocols
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and set up administrative systems
- Special skills:
- Skill set and experience to be able to maintain IT systems (hardware & software);
- Experience with networking techniques;
- Knowledge of power systems, including UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supplies) and backup power generation equipment is a plus;
- Broadcasting/multimedia engineering & production is a plus;
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Expected to have a high degree of technical aptitude over a large scope of IT software, hardware, and networking disciplines.
- Special Requirement: Security Clearance, as defined by RFE/RL Security.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.