The Executive Producers are responsible for all video production and related editorial content to ensure quality is broadcast industry standard at the broadcast language service. Working with the Service Director and Managing Editor, you are a team leader, supervising the content creators who gather video, graphics and other elements for daily video production on multiple platforms. We are a team that places high value on collaboration, both in our daily work and in our efforts to continually improve how we work. You communicate proactively with stakeholders across various teams, including writers and editors, to ensure that produced content meet expectations across platforms. You should be invested in the success of video editors an camera operators on your team and be able to carry out their tasks when needed. You will be joining an innovative, mission-driven organization at a time rapid change. This role is an opportunity to explore the role of RFE/RL’s journalism can play in society and experiment with different ways of engaging audiences and communities. You should be keenly interested in the best practices and latest developments in video and digital journalism – and be keen to pursue innovative forms of storytelling and audience development across platforms. A commitment to our mission, journalistic impartiality and integrity is a must. Adherence to our professional standards and best practices is required. This position reports to the Managing Editor / Service Director.
- Executive Producer is responsible for all video production and related editorial content to ensure industry standard production quality.
- Determines the visual look of the program, including set design, video presentation, pacing, content and graphics.
- Supervises all production for editorial and visual accuracy, style and thoroughness of reporting. As needed, edits news copy, intros and scripts pre-production to ensure accuracy, balance, context and continuity.
- Exercises excellent news judgment.
- Presents coverage ideas to the Managing Editor for discussion at the daily editorial meeting.
- Works with the Managing Editor and TV team to assign reporters and producers in the bureau contributing to the programs to review production progress and approve material for broadcast, ensuring staff meet all deadlines.
- Working with the Managing Editor and TV Team, decides whether news items will be reported as a live guest, package, word story, voice-over, reporter on set, etc.
- May supervise a line producer to create rundowns for programs and bring the program to air. Has the authority to restack the rundown if necessary.
- Coordinates editing, assigning video editors and graphics artists to projects.
- Supervises production progress (including content, show timing, editorial transitions and a coherent graphic look) and advises TV Team on best practices.
- Works closely with the production and operations team to ensure all production and technical needs are addressed.
- Reviews show production problems with staff in the post-mortem, providing constructive feedback regarding news coverage and programming immediately after the program airs.
- Works with operations and technical staff to ensure problems do not become chronic.
- Coordinates with other services at RFE/RL and VOA on news coverage. Shares content with other services and USAGM entities.
- Trains production techniques and new technology.
- Working with the Service Director and Managing Editor, looks far ahead on the calendar for future coverage opportunities, necessary show elements and special events coverage.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
• University degree in journalism or equivalent news production experience.
- 7+ years of experience in video journalism in news organization,
- Experience managing complex teams,
- Experience in positions of increasing responsibility,
- History of successful news production under deadline pressure,
- Deep understanding of target country politics and culture.
• Proven editorial and production supervision of radio, web, and multimedia video production,
• Exercises sound news judgment and leadership qualities in editorial tasks and sensitive situations,
• Proven ability to produce innovative, creative, cross-platform journalism and storytelling that can be held up as examples of best-practice journalism,
• Ability to produce, report and write for broadcast from a network of original sources, including short and long-form video reports,
• Strong control room production skills, with deep knowledge of the workflow needed to broadcast a live or recorded program and meet all deadlines,
• Experience producing live television programs in a breaking news environment with multiple reporters and hosts in the field,
• Consistently pitches original ideas resulting in viable suggestions for coverage and delivery,
• Familiarity with political, economic and social issues in Moldova as well as regional and international news events,
• Willingness and ability to work with new audio and video technologies, newsroom systems, information research tools and digital platforms to improve news gathering practices in the service,
• Able to manage assigned staff, proactively providing support,
• Able to provide staff with extended coaching and mentoring when required,
• Takes responsibility for personal professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and with training,
• Contributes to maintaining a positive, collegial working environment,
• Has a good understanding of the challenges facing the Service and contributes to in-Service strategic planning.
- Romanian – fluent,
- Russian – proficient,
- English – written and spoken working knowledge.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.