RFE/RL announces selection process for Language Service Director of Tajik Service in Prague. The Language Service Director is responsible for leading smooth operational functioning and journalistic output of her/his Service, including management of staff in Prague and, if applicable, a bureau. Reporting to a Regional Director within RFE/RL’s News Division, the Language Service Director must uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity in pursuing the company’s aim of promoting democratic values via balanced, objective, and fact-based news and information for audiences who have little or no access to independent media in their home countries or regions. Working with the Regional Director, the Language Service Director is tasked with setting strategy and goals based on market research, data analytics, and company priorities. The Language Service Director should exercise a clear understanding of all issues related to budget, staffing, security, training, branding, compliance, ethics, equipment, and infrastructure. The Language Service Director is responsible for program development, performance management, new platforms, and workflow. She/he works closely with the Service’s Managing Editor to develop daily news content that is timely, accurate, balanced, and of high quality. She/he serves as the Service’s public “face,” and should be prepared to represent both the Service and RFE/RL as needed.
• Oversees all daily work of Language Service. Working closely with Managing Editor, Language Service Director sets daily coverage agenda and supervises workflow in Prague and bureau (when applicable) to ensure best journalistic practices.
• Keeps up with the news and speaks knowledgeably about current events as they related to own coverage region and specific target country.
• Ensures maximal cooperation and coordination with other Language Services, Current Time, and Central Newsroom.
• Ensures regular evaluation of content, and uses available data and research to set and meet Service strategy for new programming or platforms in accordance with budget and company objectives.
• Management of staff, including freelancers, on issues related to work performance, including training, compliance, and training
• Addressing personnel issues (hiring decisions, merit increases, promotions, reassignments, disciplinary problems) with appropriate involvement of the HR Division and the Regional Director
• Budget, branding, and policy compliance
• Delegation and oversight of tasks related to bureau administration, payments to stringers, timesheets, vouchers for expenses, etc.
• Represents her/his Language Service in work-related meetings and in public speaking engagements as needed.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Combination of education and experience
• Journalism, international relations or related field MA - Master degree (Mandatory)
• 2-5 years experience working as a manager in a daily news operation on multiple platforms. (Mandatory)
• Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure 10+ years (Mandatory)
• Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL target regions. (Mandatory)
• Demonstrates strong vision and leadership skills. (Mandatory)
• Communicates clearly and effectively.
• Capable of building a team and collaborating effectively with other teams.
• Expertise in news journalism and demonstrated ability to manage ongoing news stories. (Mandatory)
• Demonstrated strategic and organization skills
• Proficiency in regional language (Mandatory)
• Proficiency in English (Mandatory)
• Proficiency in Russian (Desirable)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.