We are looking for a Commissioning Editor with focus on managing acquisitions to join our Current Time Programming team. You will be responsible for executing a strategy which will drive the commissioning and acquisition of relevant content for programming, particularly documentary films. You will build a strong network of professionals working in the documentary film industry and TV broadcast-oriented content. You will be working with independent production companies, producers and content providers to secure high quality content for broadcast. You will work closely with the Executive Editor for Feature Programming to identify programming needs and also the RFE/RL in-house production units and different language services to develop content for broadcast.
• Sets the programming strategy and the development plan together with the Executive Editor.
• Commissions and secures the acquisition of programs and documentary films according to strategy and development plan.
• Develops marketing strategy for commissioned and acquired programs and films; and for partnerships with festivals.
• Builds and cultivates partnerships with content providers, film producers, TV-markets, film festivals and institutions in charge of documentary films; attends marketing pitch events for documentary. Promotes the Channel in documentary community.
• Builds up long-lists of potentially acquired programs, negotiates preview material. Pre-selects programs, films and subjects for documentary slots according to the Channel policy.
• Works on development of the commissioned content and proposes documentary projects in development for support.
• Manages acquisition and commissioning contracts: licensing documentary films for Russian speaking audiences; negotiating the rights, prices and packages of acquired/commissioned slots content; arranging payments for the contracts and partnerships of the department.
• Participates in commissioning in-house and outsourced production. Develops partnership with content producers inside and outside RFE/RL. Develops together with the production new programs and films.
• Monitors production of documentaries and feature programming suitable for the Channel for potential partnerships.
• Ensures that the producers for acquired and commissioned content meet editorial deadlines and budgetary requirements and the content meets RFE/RL editorial standards.
• Prepares the commissioned and acquired content for broadcast.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor Degree in Journalism and/or Business Administration (or business/finance related degree) or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
• At least 8 years of experience working in the media field in distribution, acquisition, commissioning and production.
• Experience in acquiring content for media organization; selling and buying content for TV
• Sound editorial judgement and ability to apply editorial guidelines to content creation
• Good working knowledge of relevant broadcast region and its market
• Ability to build a strong network of contacts amongst producers and broadcasters, specifically in Russian language speaking market and CIS countries
• Good understanding of the acquisitions processes worldwide markets, particularly for documentary films
• Knowledge of legal licensing requirements
• Excellent contract content acquisition negotiation skills
• Ability to manage budgets, timelines and projects
• Ability to work under pressure to the highest professional standards
• Ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders in both commercial and creative contacts at different levels
• Russian language, native level
• English language, proficiency level
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.