Reporting to Chief Digital Editor the Multimedia Journalist (MMJ) is an integral member of the News production team. The MMJ is primarily responsible for daily news coverage for all Kazakh Service media platforms. The incumbent works with the Chief Digital Editor to ensure desired topics in the desired format are provided by the MMJ working in close cooperation with the Kazakh production teams. This position will also have interviewing and live reporting responsibilities. The incumbent will serve, through his/her work, in a surrogate role as well as community journalism, understand its impact on audiences and be able to build on that in their work. The MMJ will create and deliver (on a daily basis) high quality, impactful, innovative news content that is on-time, relevant to the RFE/RL mission, factually accurate, impartial, balanced, moderate and non-polemical in tone, conforming to RFE/RL’s Professional Code. Together with the Chief Digital Editor, initiates and develops daily in-depth top story reports. The incumbent is expected to be a self-starter and able to work independently and effectively with others.
- Generate and develop story ideas, promote new ideas to the service team, live reporting for TV, and Live blogging for our online sites. They write their own reports (draft) in Pangea
- The MMJ will write news segments, suggests guests and interviews for news and in-depth segments. Conducts in-studio, telephone, and Skype interviews.
- Must be able to effectively operate a video camera, edit video and effectively record their own voice, shoot your own stand-ups and work with production materials.
- S/he must be able to serve as a Service ambassador at appropriate events to promote the work of the Service.
- May travel in the field as needed.
- Understands and applies RFE/RL’s code of journalistic conduct and editorial guidelines. Checks script balance, accuracy, facts, style, and thoroughness of his/her own reporting.
- Exercises good news judgment to keep track of what stories are topical. Looks far ahead on the calendar for coverage opportunities.
- Provides feedback and training to colleagues in an effort to improve the overall quality of reporting. Takes part in relevant training sessions offered by RFE/RL’s Development department to improve her/his performance.
- Presents coverage possibilities to editorial leadership for discussion at the daily editorial meeting and the weekly look-ahead meeting in close collaboration with the rest of the team.
- Follows the latest news developments in detail throughout the target region.
- Ability to quickly analyze daily news events, explaining their importance to the viewer in context by writing and producing a packaged report.
- Coordinates with producers from RFE/RL language services to obtain video files, transcripts, and translations.
- Appears on camera, in the field or a studio setting and appearing live on camera as part of the reporting production.
- Works with video editors on projects. Keeps track of production progress on program elements.
- Coordinates editing, advises video editors on best editing practices. In addition to working regular shifts is expected to be available during important, breaking news events, and work as assigned by a supervisor.
- Is able to perform well in a deadline driven environment and is flexible enough to complete all assignments regardless of any specific work shift.
- Undergraduate BA degree in communications (journalism desirable), or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- At least 2 to 5 years of experience working in comparable journalism/editorial/TV production role in a news media organization.
- Digital media/journalism/communications experience and expertise in a fast-paced organization with tight deadlines. 2-5 years (Mandatory)
- Previous professional experience as a reporter.
- Must have excellent news judgment and a good understanding of international news especially regional events in Russia and the target region.
- Must have excellent writing and interviewing skills.
- Must have understanding of TV production process and roles (especially in the studio and the field).
- Proactive, can-do attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills-- a team player with ability to work effectively with individuals within and across teams.
- Must demonstrate strong attention to detail.
- Positive professional demeanor; highly organized, dependable and motivated with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet challenging and changing deadlines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral with ability to influence and express conceptual ideas.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to get along with others.
- Ability to mentor and train junior or less experienced staff.
- Must be open to feedback and on-going self-development.
- Must be able to travel on assignment.
- Kazakh/Russian Fluent
- Working knowledge of English
- Knowledge of another RFE/RL target language preferably a Central Asian language, desirable
Should you be interested in this position please apply by sending your CV and a cover letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org , including in the subject line the vacancy number as above.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the law (no. 101/2000 Sb. regarding personal data protection). This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle zákona č. 101/2000 Sb., o ochraně osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.