Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty - Szabad Európa is seeking an experienced Editor. In this position you will help to shape each day's content, from idea generation through to editing the final product. The incumbent manages the team's work activities and sets objectives. Sound news judgment stemming from years of experience in journalism, an ability to work cooperatively under pressure and a commitment to nurture correspondents are required. An absolute commitment to journalistic impartiality should guide editors from start to finish.
• In cooperation with other senior staff in the Budapest Bureau, helps plan the Hungarian Service agenda. Engages in idea generation with writers on the team, finalizes assignments, supervises their completion and edits and issues the final product in a timely manner
• Final product can include, but is not limited to, full-length web features, interviews, explainers, analyses, blogs, captions, video scripts, news stories
• Supervises a team of writers and reporters, providing feedback, managing the team's work activities, and setting objectives
• Must keep up with world news and developments in RFE/RL broadcast region.
• Should cultivate one or more specialty beats.
• Editors are encouraged and expected to work closely with language service broadcasters and to suggest their own pitches and story ideas.
• In addition to working regular shifts, the editor is expected to be available during important, breaking news events, and work as assigned by the Service Director or Bureau Chief.
• Education in Journalism or related field
• Extensive experience in news and feature journalism, as both a reporter and an editor, including on digital platforms - 10 years minimum
• Solid grounding in web production, editing and posting on digital platforms (Pangea is our own system so no outsider will know it)
• Knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the country and the broader region through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure.
• Demonstrated ability to manage a team, and to motivate others towards the achievement of common goals, while managing limited resources in an efficient manner.
• First rate news judgment employing balance and accuracy in reporting techniques.
• Proven ability to work quickly and efficiently to solve technical and operational problems under tight deadlines
• Thorough knowledge of the news needs in the broadcast area. Capable of assessing news reports from multiple news agencies and own sources.
- Hungarian language Native level
- English language Proficient
- Other foreign language is an advantage
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.