Reporting to Director of Engineering or his designate in Prague and coordinating Engineering activities with the Bureau Chief/Service Director, he/she manages technical staff in the bureau and supervises a variety of tasks associated with maintenance of the bureau information technology and multimedia equipment, including its day-to-day maintenance, troubleshooting, upgrades, user support, security, disaster recovery and data backups, as well as for the bureau basic facility infrastructure.
- Provides full technological support to the Language Service and is familiar with its content. The support may include overtime and late shift work, and discussing / agreeing on dialy priorities between News and Technology, as well as coordinating on potential security risks.
- Supervises the daily activities of the Bureau technical staff and ensures their accomplishing tasks in a timely, professional and efficient manner, provides them advice, guidance and training.
- Oversees installing, testing, operating and maintaining hardware, network, communication/telephone systems, software, and electric power supply in the Bureau.
- Ensures high availability of all ENG (Electronic News Gathering) equipment by maintaining digital and analog multi-media equipment such as studio consoles, recorders, NLE’s (Non-Linear Editors) such as digital audio & video workstations, still and video cameras, and other equipment, to ensure that programs are of a high audio and visual quality.
- Secures and administers local email and IT systems such as anti-virus programs within professional guidelines and ensures that all software licenses are legal and up-to-date.
- Superintends local User Support/Help Desk functions and the training to the Bureau staff on information and broadcast technology;
- Makes sure the Prague TOC (Technical Operations Center) is informed of the operational status of the bureau on a regular basis, reports technical deficiencies and problems in a timely manner, and suggests the speediest and most cost-effective solutions.
- Assists in developing and ensuring successful implementation and compliance with Standard Operating Procedures and all safety regulations, and uses Industry Best Practices when performing duties and tasks assigned.
- Writes professional guidelines for the installation and maintenance of various technology equipment and studios, if needed.
- Coordinates Engineering work with the Language Service and with other company departments.
- Provides documentation on all projects and assists with quality control documentation. Creates and maintains detailed electronic drawings for planning and documentation. Maintains records and prepares reports as required by management.
- Monitors the performance of and ensures proper maintenance of the Bureau facilities under lease including issues related to life safety.
- Monitors the usage of all bureau utilities and leased line contracts and suggests means and methods of maximizing efficiencies.
- Observes and reports on the status of electrical systems (properly wired, well-grounded, no exposed cables, burn marks, etc), backup power systems such as a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) and generator, structural integrity (identify and report water leaks, cracks in the foundation or walls/ceilings, roof, etc), and any other bureau infrastructure issue that may arise.
- Cooperates closely with the Bureau Administrator and Prague-based supervisor in terms of issuing requisitions for technology and multimedia equipment and ongoing technical operations maintenance.
- Keeps abreast of relevant technical developments.
- Interfaces with local telecommunications and IT companies as necessary.
- Contributes to creating and maintaining a positive work environment.
- Functions as a translator to ensure unencumbered communication between management and the Engineers. Ensures that the shops are kept clean and presentable at all times. Shift and night work required. As directed, performs other duties consistent with his/her qualifications and professional experience.
Qualifications & Competencies
- Preferably university degree in a relevant technology area;
- Specialized training in maintaining modern radio/TV equipment (or equivalent professional experience);
- Certification of formal education and/or proof of equivalent professional experience.
- Five years minimum required in a similar (technical/managerial) position;
- Experience with maintaining digital and analog ENG (Electronic News Gathering) equipment.
- Skill set and experience to be able to maintain IT systems (hardware & software);
- Experience with networking techniques;
- Knowledge of telecommunications systems, familiarity with VSAT (Very Small Aperture Terminal) and MPLS (Multiprotocol Label Switching) technology is a plus;
- Knowledge of power systems, including UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supplies) and backup power generation equipment;
- Broadcasting/multimedia engineering & production;
- Working speaking, reading, and writing ability in English in addition to a broadcast language, Russian language ability when relevant;
- Ability to work under pressure.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the law (no. 101/2000 Sb. regarding personal data protection). This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle zákona č. 101/2000 Sb., o ochraně osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.